Friday, August 28, 2009

Vamp's Assistant, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

Please stop back in on Monday to read an interview with one of the great writers of vampire fiction, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. If you've had the pleasure of reading her Saint-Germain Chronicles, you'll be as excited as I am to present her at VampChix. If not, come back and read about a whole new series of vampires that'll keep you up till late at night reading!

The Vampire's Assistant, based on Darren Shan's Cirque de Freak novels, opens October 23rd.
It is a fantasy-adventure about a teenager who unknowingly breaks a 200-year-old truce between two warring factions of vampires. Pulled into a fantastic life of misunderstood sideshow freaks and grotesque creatures of the night, one teen will vanish from the safety of a boring existence and fulfill his destiny in a place drawn from nightmares.

16-year-old Darren (Chris Massoglia) was like most kids in his suburban neighborhood. He hung out with his best friend (Josh Hutcherson), got decent grades and usually stayed out of trouble. But when he and his buddy stumble upon a traveling freak show, things begin to change inside Darren. That's the exact moment when a vampire named Larten Crepsley (John C. Reilly) turns him into something, well, bloodthirsty.

Newly undead, he joins the Cirque Du Freak, a touring sideshow filled with monstrous creatures from a snakeboy and a wolfman to a bearded lady (Salma Hayek) and a gigantic barker (Ken Watanabe). As Darren flexes his newfound powers in this dark world, he becomes a treasured pawn between the vampires and their deadlier counterparts. And while trying to survive, one boy will struggle to keep their brewing war from devouring what's left of his humanity.

Watch a clip here.

Pinocchio The Vampire Slayer? Dude, I just don't know what to say about this one. Click for more info.


Ceri said...

I'm loooking forward to The Vampire's Assisant. I haven't read the book but the trailer looked good and I love John C Reilly.

Pinocchio the Vampire Slayer? That can't be real, right? :P

lunaticcafe said...

I've been waiting for the Chelsea Quinn Yarbro interview all month- so, so excited. Hotel Transylvania was my first vampire book and from that moment on I was hooked. I have followed the novels over the years and St. Germain remains one of my favorite vampires of all time.

Michele Hauf said...

Yeah, the Pinocchio thing is just...beyond words, actually.

Hotel Transylvania was my second vamp book! (After The Vampire Lestat). Amazing stuff!

Nicole_Hadaway said...

I wasn't sure about Vampire's Assistant, but the write-up looks good and I am a Ray Stevenson fan.

Pinocchio? I LOVE Bunnicula, but Pinocchio is just too much!