Monday, October 12, 2009

Guest: Erica Hayes

Please welcome Erica Hayes to the guest seat today!  Erica's debut, SHADOWFAE, releases October 13th (Tomorrow!)


Thanks Michele for inviting me to VampChix! I'd love you all to meet a friend of mine:

He yanked my head back by the hair, snarling softly, spit running on curved fangs. His blue eyes shone bright, glazed, intoxicated. His body quivered, tight and coiled like a serpent about to strike, and his skin glowed with arousal. God, he was beautiful, this creature of death.

That's Dante, my vampire bad guy from Shadowfae. He's mighty pleased to eat… umm, I mean, meet you.

He's one of my favourite characters, a violent ganglord who isn't afraid to use his vampire powers to destroy and torture his enemies, not to mention get himself some tasty action along the way. His motto: that's what power is for. Sure, he's charming and witty and devilishly attractive, but that doesn't change the fact that his heart is rotten and he's selfish to the core.

Yes, I confess to a yearning for the old-fashioned vampire bad guy. I mean, I love tortured vampire heroes – who doesn't? – but I do enjoy me some sheer vamp nastiness.

Way back when, vampires were depicted as evil bloodsuckers, out to get not only your body and your blood, but your soul into the bargain. Dracula is a scary Victorian metaphor for forbidden female sexuality – do it and you're damned. But the Drac himself didn't waste any angst over whether he was good or bad. To quote one fabulous TV vamp bad guy: he was hungry, he ate, end of story. Like Barlow from Salem's Lot, a pure horror movie vampire. More beast (or demon) than human.

I'm not certain exactly when the first angsty vampire appeared (maybe Barnabas Collins?) but I believe I'll put the blame on Interview With The Vampire's reluctant but oh-so-desperate Louis, who put the 'E' in 'emo' before we even knew what 'emo' was. Nice cue for a tasty pic of Brad, just as an example of exactly what I'm not talking about:

Gosh, just look at him. Don't you want to give him a big hug? Afraid to live as a monster, but more afraid to die. And so the un-bad, woe-is-me, rat-blood-drinking vampire was born. But also his flip side, 'Gentleman Death in silk and lace', the fiery brat prince Lestat, who thought (and thought, and thought deeply, for umpteen books!) about being good or bad, and decided he'd just be what he was and hang the consequences.

And we've had variations on that fascinating theme ever since: the confident vampire master and the recalcitrant child. Forever Knight's LaCroix and Nicholas. Moonlight's Josef (and Coraline) and Alex. Eric and Bill from Bon Temps. Oh, okay, then, if you insist. Here's a tasty pic of Eric from True Blood:

Mmm. I know which side I find more interesting. I mean, take Bill. He's mysterious, a little brooding and dangerous, but we all know he's never really gonna hurt Sookie. Eric, on the other hand… Brrr. Is it hot or cold in here? But even the Northman softens in the end, and turns into kind of a romantic lead, because… well, because that's the kind of thing that happens in Sookie's universe.

What a waste. Because vamps make such lovely villains. They've got everything they need: attitude, sex appeal, appetite, superhuman strength, hyped-up senses, that tricky hypnosis thing. And they're fiendishly hard to kill, no matter what your mythology. Get on the wrong side of one who's determined to do you harm – and I mean real harm – and you're toast.

So tell me about your favourite vamp bad guys – the ones who don't need no stinkin' redemption, thanks very much, and just go on their merry evil ways. The Morganville Vampires series has a few good ones. How about James from Twilight? Marlow from 30 Days of Night? Deacon Frost from Blade?

I'm giving away a copy of my new urban fantasy Shadowfae (13 October, St Martin's Press) to one lucky commenter!

Here's the SHADOWFAE blurb:
Imagine a secret world veiled in fairy glamour and brimming with unearthly delights. A city swarming with half-mad fairies, where thieving spriggans rob you blind, beautiful banshees mesmerize you with their song, and big green trolls bust heads at nightclubs. And once you’re in, there’s no escape…

Enslaved by a demon lord, Jade is forced to spend her nights seducing vampire gangsters and shapeshifting thugs.  After two hundred years as a succubus, she burns for freedom and longs to escape her brutal life as a trophy girl for hell’s minions.  Then she meets Rajah, an incubus who touches her heart and intoxicates her senses. Rajah shares the same bleak fate as she, and yearns just as desperately for freedom.  But the only way for Jade to break her bonds is to betray Rajah—and doom the only man she’s ever loved to a lifetime in hell.    

To read my free prequel short story Hellcursed, please visit my site:

Thanks for having me!



RKCharron said...

Hi Michele & Erica :)
Thank you for the great guest post here Erica. I love the "bad" vampire too. They are getting harder to find in today's novels though. I liked Eli in LET THE RIGHT ONE IN by John Ajvide Lindqvist, and the movie version was true to the "bad" vampire Eli. Have you seen the movie? I highly recommend it.
All the best,

Alicia0605 said...

Thanks for the post. I have been wanting to read this book forever. I love what I have heard so far.


Alicia0605 said...

Oh I forgot to answer the question. My fav bad vamp ever is Lestat from Interview with the vampire!!!!

Amy1225 said...

James from twilight looked awful in the movie but in real life he is just smokin!!! He is my favorite of this year. I cant wait to read shadowfae!!


Erica Hayes said...

I haven't seen that movie, RK. I'll have to look out for it, if he's as bad as you say!

As far as screen Lestats go, I'd have to say Tom Cruise was scarier. But I always liked the Interview version of Lestat better than the one in his own point of view. Before he started thinking too much, eh?

Amy, I thought James was pretty hot in Twilight :) and the most interesting character by far! Although in the movie, I found the Cullen dad was downright creepy, just because he was so *nice* there had to be something wrong with him. Heh. The Stepford Vamps :)

Nicole_Hadaway said...

David from The Lost Boys -- he loved being a vamp -- sleep all day, party all night, never grow old, never die, it's fun to be a vampire (he didn't seem to mind the feeding at all)!

Great post Erica, thanks for being here today!

Jen said...

Thanks for stopping by Erica!

My favorite vampire baddies are Viktor and Marcus from the Underworld franchise and the vampire clan from 30 Days of Night. Those guys (and gals) were creepy, vicous and nasty. A must see movie if you like your vamps extra ferocious.

Count me in for the contest.


Melissa said...

Ooh, Rajah and Jade sounds great!
And my fav Vamp bad boy is Keifer Sutherland from Lost Boys...oh, and the brother, his eyes rocked! YUM!! That is my all time fav vamp movie.

fozmeadows said...

Geek that I am, I'm going to have to go with the unsouled Spike. Don't get me wrong, I loved his efforts at redemption, but what made him such a great villain was the sheer glee he took in violence. Killing the Slayers in 70s New York and during the Boxer Rebellion, hanging out with Drusilla and her dolls, it was still impossible not to like him. Plus and also: Drusilla as the perennially unredeemed, crazy prophet-vampire, stealing a lapdog from her dead victim and renaming it Sunshine? Priceless.

Looking forward to the book! :)

Fiction Vixen said...

I like James from Twilight, even more so after Cam Gigandet was cast for the movie. *waggles eye brows*

R said...

OOooh Has to be Charlaine Harris's Eric! And Alex Sakrsgard paying him in True Blood is pretty hot too!

Yummy Yum! x

Michele Hauf said...

I'm with fozmeadows on Spike. And I can even overlook his years as William the Blood (Poet). He and Drusilla were a marvelously, vicious match. Sigh... I'm feeling the urge to watch some old Buffy episodes!

Michele Hauf said...

That's William the BloodY. It's too cold in the house to type properly this morning.

Barbara Monajem said...

My favorite vampire if all time is Dracula himself. Apart from the bad breath he undoubtedly had from being dead, I thought he was very sexy.

Daelith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daelith said...

For me it's, Dracula played by Gerard Butler. Though the movie itself was not so great, I don't mind sitting through it to see him. I loved to see him playing another vampire role. Also, like Dominic Purcell as a vampire in Blade 3. I'd like to dress him a bit differently though.

elaing8 said...

Congrats on oyur new release tomorrow.

favorite evil vampire is Oliver from Rachel Caine's Morganville Series. He's bad,he knows it and makes no apologies for it. you got to love to hate him.

Crystal Adkins said...

Hi everyone! I love this post, the pics are really some of the best vamps in the business! Good luck on your new book, I really like the cover!!
Crystal Adkins

Erica Hayes said...

Oh, the Lost Boys! I used to watch that movie over and over... The Coreys and Kiefer.. showing my age, hmm?

Underworld is superb eye candy, isn't it? Such a beautiful film, and the sequels too. Even if it doesn't totally, y'know, make sense. Viktor is my favourite.

30 Days of Night scared the tripe out of me. I was so happy :D It's so rare to see a genuinely scary movie... and the vamps were so mean! Yay!

Spike! oyy. Glory in destruction is such a wonderful villainous trait :D the fact that he's dead sexy (heh! vamp joke!) doesn't hurt at all.

Rosie said...

Oh, my, there could never be a nastier vamp than Spike from Buffy. Mmmm, Bad Spike. I may have to pull out the old Buffy dvd's. :-)

Erica Hayes said...

Indeed, it's true, Daelith. Gerard can make watching all kinds of horrid tripe worthwhile ;)

I'm really enjoying Morganville Vampires. I'm only up to book #2 but I'm loving the characters. I was really hooked by the idea of the vampire town where you have to wear the mark of safety or you're fair game. And the mean girls :)

Crystal, we aim to please. Any excuse for pics of Eric :)

ddurance said...

Dracula as played by Gary Oldman was a bad guy who knows hot to appeal to the ladies. Picture him walking the street eyeing Mina over his round spactacles, wearing that gray suit with black curls down to his shoulders. *sigh*

Also, Angus Sutherland plays Shane in The Lost Boys: The Tribe and he's a baddie, but he just makes you want to be bad with him, if you know what I mean. lol


Crystal Adkins said...

Erica, you're not showing your age when talking about the lost boys, unless I'm getting older too. But I'll not admit to it! I loved the original, but have you seen the second? It totally sucks... pun intended. I didn't like it at all!

Erica Hayes said...

The Oldman Dracula movie is sooo romantic. More so because yeah, he's a bad guy. Doesn't mean he's got no heart... Sniffle.

I can't believe I haven't seen Lost Boys 2 after all this time! I'm gonna have to check it out... even truly rotten vamp movies are fun :)

Cassandra Samuels said...

How about the nasty brother Damien from the Vampire Diaries. He's dark, he's evil and he loves nothing more than trying to destroy his brother Stephan's happiness.

jenn j mcleod said...

Oh I sooooo want to read this. I read the excerpt a while ago and the precurser. Unbelieveable. I've told everyone I know about this one. I thought I was a writer (yeh sure - unpubbed but working on it) with my lovely little contemporary single titles, but I'm not a scratch on this.
Wow! Wow! Wow!

Erica Hayes said...

I remember getting all starry-eyed over Damon from the Vampire Diaries books when I was in high school. I always thought Stefan was a bit of a wimp :)

This series was also my introduction (by way of Stefan's ultra-cool black Porsche!) to the startling truth that American kids drive their cars to school. I was like, wow! I had to turn 18 before I could get a drivers license :)

Jenn, I'm so pleased you enjoyed the story! It was loads of fun to write.

Crystal Adkins said...

I agree, it's hard not to get all starry eyed over Damon he's got that dark dangerous appeal.

As for the lost boys 2 seriously don't waste your money. Unless you rent it or get it from Netflix... cause it'd be the worst 20.00 you've ever spent on a movie. I HATED it.

Razlover's Book Blog said...

Great post and I love the pics and answers!

My favorite vamps are:

1. Gerald Butler's vamp in the movie 2000.

2. Kyle Schmid vamp Henry Fitzroy in the Blood Ties TV series.

3. David Boreanez vamp Angel in the Buffy series.

4. James Marsters vamp Spike also in the Buffy series.

5. Julian Sands vamp Alex in the movie Tale of the Vampire.

jeanette8042 said...

Awesome post! I'm dying to get my hands on Shadowfae it looks awesome!

Erica Hayes said...

Crystal, you are a red rag to a bull. I've *really* gotta see Lost Boys 2 now :)

Ooh, I've never seen Blood Ties. It's on my TBW list. Looks very cool and...y'know. Bloody.

I think Julian Sands was born to play vampires. Or warlocks. Or other creepy paranormal guys. There's something so evil about him... mmm.

Thanks for coming by, Jeanette!

Crystal Adkins said...

Erica- LOL I love that saying about me, it's so true! You'll be soo disappointed. Email me at and let me know what you thought LOL!

Courtney Allison Moulton said...

Interesting look at vampire baddies! I personally love vampires as dangerous monsters versus the fluffy romantic kind that always get their butts kicked, but it's important to have a redeemable quality about them to make them three-dimensional.

My favorite TV vampire is Spike and my favorite movie vampire is Deacon Frost. Such great characters!