Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Rise (and Fall?) of Vampire Romance — and a Contest!

I've mentioned The Ultimate VampList here a time or two.  Find it at vampire-books.com.  I believe it's the oldest and largest listing of vampire books on the Interwebz.  I've been posting it online since 1995, and it started with about 100 titles.  Now, I list well over 4000 titles.  I started it not as a means to become a thorough bibliography, but more as a list of all the vampire books I could find. A list readers could use to print up, and mark off titles they'd read, and marvel over just how many titles they have yet to read.  Do you think anyone could ever read them all?

I include the basics: title, author, publisher, pub date and sort by category/genre.  I decided early on to link as many of the titles as I could to Amazon.  When I first put up the VampList, Amazon was the major book retailer on the web, and I thought if a person wanted more info about the title, they could click-thru and do further research themselves.  I had once dallied with the idea of linking to the authors' website, but decided against that.  I didn't want to link to a site that may eventually disappear, or feature questionable material.  It was easiest to direct all the links to one place, more fair, even though that excludes some self-pubbed titles and small presses who aren't listed at Amazon.

Every few years I like to go through the ROMANCE category of the VampList and count how many books were released each year.  It's the easiest and most interesting category to follow because it is the fastest growing category.  I use a terribly unscientific method.  I know I don't have ALL the titles out there listed.  Mostly US releases, and yes, I can't find all the small press stuff (Which is why I encourage authors to send me their title info.).  And the list comprises full-length novels, along with novellas and shorts.  But it's interesting to look at how the vampire romance genre has grown over the years with these simple numbers. I started counting in 1997 (the year Dark Rapture was published). Here are the number of vamp romances published per year (2010 is to date):

Interesting, eh? Vampires have continually risen over the years, and show very little sign of slowing down.  From 2001 to 2002 the increase was stunning.  Used to be you could maybe find one vampire romance a month to read.  Now, there's over 10 new titles per month.  Good news for vampire lovers! But there, you can see the numbers falling slightly the last two years.  Again, very unscientific, this chart, and certainly I don't list all the vamp romances out there, but I think it gives a good general overview of the genre.

Just for fun I thought I'd list the Top Ten Romance Authors with the Most Vampire Stories Published (including ties).  This includes novels, novellas, and short stories in anthologies.  The number in () is total pubbed from 1997 - 2009/10.

1)  Kate Hill (40)
2)  Amanda Ashley (20)
     Christine Feehan (20)
3)  Sherrilyn Kenyon (18)
     Maggie Shayne (18)
4)  Susan Sizemore (17) includes horror and movie-tie-in titles
5)  MaryJanice Davidson (16)
     Rosemary Laurey (16) includes her Georgia Evans titles
     Lynsay Sands (16)
6)  Keri Arthur (15)
7)  Delilah Devlin (14)
     Shiloh Walker (14)
8)  Angela Knight (12)
9)  Susan Squires (11)
10)  Crymsyn Hart (10)
       Mandy Roth (10)

[Note: I came in tied with Caridad Pineiro, Kimberly Raye, Kerrelyn Sparks and J.R. Ward with 9 books each]

Now for the contest: I'll run this through the rest of November. What I'm looking for, simply, is a new title I don't list at the VampList and/or a correction to an existing listing (wrong pub date, author, publisher, etc.).
Now here's the unsimple part. The title must not be listed anywhere at The Ultimate VampList. That means if you think Love's Bloody Desire by Crimson Tears is not listed because you checked the entire first HORROR page, but you didn't check ROMANCE or MYSTERY or CHILDREN's, then it actually could be listed elsewhere. So do a thorough check on all categories! Also, I may have a title listed in the wrong category (not purposely), so that would count as an entry if you told me what the right category is, and how you know that is the right category.
If you are the author of the book, you can enter with your title if it isn't listed, as well. But again, make sure it's not already listed. (I will check, and usually recognize any title I do list.)


Just enter a title that isn't listed or send me a correction for an existing title.  Include: title, author, publisher, pub date, genre/category, and if it's a part of a series, mention that too.

Send entries to vampchixmail@gmail.com with ULTIMATE VAMPLIST CONTEST in the subject.

So, what's the prize?  I'll pick three winners and announce on December 1st.  I have three things to give away, so they'll get one of these: Blood Ties book by Tanya Huff, or Vampires by Joules Taylor, or a very cool chapbook pubbed in 1993 by Preternatural Productions by Meg Thompson.



Mary Ann DeBorde said...

Mary D

Wow! Michele, I had no idea there was such a listing and how terrific that you went to so much work to compile one!! I cannot wait to check it out (and hopefully come up with a title you may have missed lol)

Jacqueline Lichtenberg said...

I found this amazing post in a tweet by Michele Hauf, just as I was writing a ridiculously long, involved and abstract blog post for the Alien Romance co-blog about Vampire Romance.

I may have controverted some of what is said here, but I have inserted the URL to this post a couple times into my post to get folks to come look at that graph!


Thank you and keep tweeting!

Jacqueline Lichtenberg

Abigail [All Things Urban Fantasy] said...

What a great list! Thanks for all the hard work

Roxanne Rhoads said...

I don't know about the vamp list but what about Laurell K Hamilton for most vamprie books, isn't on 17or 18 in her Anita Blake series?

Roxanne Rhoads said...

and LA Banks has 12 listed on her site in The Vampire Huntress series and LKH has 17 completed Anita Blake books

or are you only lsiting those that would fall into the romace category?

Michele Hauf said...

Yes, I'm talking romance authors. Sorry about that confusion. I'm going to fix that in the post, too. But yes, LKH would be right up there on the top along with Christopher Golden in Horror and Anne Rice and many others.

Witchy Woman said...

I don't want to do the evil grin just yet, but I may have found one that's not listed. Off to send you my email.

Carrie said...

Wow that is a big list. I will find a new one if it kills me:)

Witchy Woman said...

*eg* Muah-ha-ha!

elnice said...

Amazing List, I had no idea.

Elie (Ellz Readz)

Andrea [Buried In Books] said...

Interesting graph! Amazing how much it's grown since 95. I wonder too, if anyone has/could read them all? I think I'd get tired of vamps before I could finish.

Bethie said...

How about Charlaine Harris? There are 9 books in the Sookie series, and then some anthologies.

lizzi0915 at aol dot com