Monday, March 22, 2010

Guest: Denise Verrico

Please welcome Denise Verrico to VampChix!  She's author of the Immortyl Revolution series, which features CARA MIA and the (coming soon) TWILIGHT OF THE GODS.  Denise has offered to give a copy of Cara Mia to one lucky commenter, so show her some love in the comments!  [Winner announced Wednesday.]

Vampires fascinate me because I find them to be a wonderful metaphor for many subjects.  For me, it's all about man's inhumanity to man.  If you look at history, there have never been any 'good old days'.  The history of humankind is fraught with bloodshed and exploitation.  My vampires often reflect their era or culture.  I depart from the warm and fuzzy vampire.  Most in my vampire culture are territorial and violent.  Parts of Cara Mia are very bloody.  Some of my vampires are more idealistic and humane, but they are still violent by nature.

Vampires have always been a passion for me.  As a kid, I loved watching Dark Shadows on TV.  Barnabas Collins, played by Jonathan Frid, was an early sympathetic vampire.  I devoured Anne Rice novels and read a lot of vampire lore.  Interview with a Vampire is my favorite.  I love the Frank Langella version of Dracula.  In college, I sat in the balcony of the Pittsburgh Playhouse with my girlfriends and yelled, 'Open the window!' to Kate Nelligan.  I also like the Lugosi classic a lot.

I follow a lot of vampire traditions in my writing, like avoiding the sun and drinking only human blood, but I give these a scientific reason.  In the nineties, I read a lot about biotechnology.  I've always loved science.  The task I set out for myself was to create a plausible cause for vampirism and the subsequent immortality.  The sci fi vampire story, I Am Legend is another favorite of mine.

I'm a sucker for a story about the little guy or gal fighting the forces of evil.  My heroine and hero are underdogs, slaves chosen for their youth and sexual attractiveness.  Mia and Kurt find they're in sympathy because they find the strictures and cruelty of their society too much to bear.  They become outlaws who rebel against their masters and give the secrets of immortality to science.  Mia and Kurt may look like teenagers, but they're both over sixty when they become lovers.  They've known a lot of pain.  Kurt leads a slave rebellion in the second in the series, Twilight of the Gods, which will be out this fall.

Mia's narrative reflects her irreverent humor and spunk.  Her kinsman, Philip exercises his wit at every opportunity.  I like to laugh and I always say, when I start to hear too many violins playing, it's time to wisecrack.  My background is in theatre, so I pepper the story with theatrical and Shakespearean references.

The eroticism of the vampire appeals to me.  Since my Immortyl culture is based on ancient societies, I've gone as far to create vampire courtesans.  Cedric MacKinnon, one of these adepts of the ancient arts, is part of the Chief Elder's household and the POV character in my third novel, Fearful Symmetry.  Technically, an adept is a temple artist in a tantric cult of Kali, but they're treated as political pawns.  I love that court intrigue.

Cara Mia blurb:
Mia Disantini is a vampire who wants to walk again in the sun.  Enslaved by her charismatic master, Ethan and plunged into the unenlightened Immortyl culture, Mia struggles for freedom.  Trained as Ethan's Bird of Prey, she becomes the pawn of their enigmatic elder, Brovik, in his intrigues concerning the forbidden science.  Cast out by Ethan, Mia joins forces with Kurt, and together the lovers steal their master's secrets and deliver them to Genpath Laboratories.  Duped and imprisoned by CEO, Lee Brooks, Mia calls upon the aid of neuroscientist, Dr. Joe Ansari.  But Mia and Kurt are hunted for their crime and time is running out.

You can read excerpts from Cara Mia and Twilight of the Gods at:

Friend me on Facebook at my fan page Immortyl Revolution.
You can also follow me on Twitter and my new blog,


Rain Maiden said...

I love a great Paranormal story. I just want to be swept away by a blood sucking bad boy. At this point any bad boy will do. Denise Verrico is a new author for me...sounds wonderful.

Andrea Becraft said...

I am obsessed with the paranormal in the world! Anything with a magical element I will read. Vampires are my favorite (ask my book shelf it is filled with it) I have read alot of diffrent types of vampires. Ones who can walk in the sun, one who eat blood from a bag, and ones who only feed on thier own kind!

Vampires are just hot!

SandyG265 said...

This sound like an interesting book. I like reading different twist on the vampire theme.

Spav said...

This book sounds awesome. I would love to win it. Count me in, please!

donnas said...

Always looking for a good vampire/paranormal book/series. And this looks and sounds like a great start to one. Thanks for sharing.

Shauna Kemp said...

Wow, this sounds very interesting! I do enjoy it when vampires are explained biologically! Actually, before I knew I wanted to write and before I became an engineer, I was a biology major! So, that does interest me much. Can't wait to read this! Great to hear about it hear at vampchix. :)