Wednesday, March 3, 2010

New cover for Dracula - like or dislike?


Penguin has collaborated with AIDS awareness fund (RED)
and a team of designers to produce new covers for eight
Penguin Classics. Each cover replaces the usual black
band with red, employing a quote from the text of the
book as the visual hit.

While a repackaging isn't something the Classics series
is necessarily crying out for, we particularly like the
way that this small run of eight titles has been handled –
with the typographic designs occasionally encroaching
over the (RED)-inspired band and the link with the
organisation brought out in the bracketing of the
Penguin Classics identity. Jim Stoddart, art director
of Penguin Press plans to use a different typographer
for each cover commission and more are planned
in the near future.
 Non-Format (whose brilliant take on Bram Stoker's
Dracula, in case you have trouble making out the
odd word, reads "His eyes were positively blazing.
The red light in them was lurid, as if the flames of
hell fire blazed behind them." Powerful stuff.

19 comments:

Derek Tatum said...

"like or dislike?"

I'm not sure!!!

Lou Gagliardi said...

too much going on on the cover for such a simple book..

Michele Hauf said...

I keep trying to form 'Dracula' from the bigger letters, but it doesn't work. But for someone who loves fonts, I do like the look of it. Just not sure what is says about bloodsuckers. Hmm...

Book Chick City said...

Don't like it at all! And I love Dracula, my favourite book of all time :)

Jenny J. said...

I liked it *after* you posted a "translation" in regular text. Alone, I simply couldn't read it--not the best thing for a book cover.

SandyG265 said...

I really dislike the cover. I wouldn't buy that edition.

Derek Tatum said...

I think I like the idea but not the execution.

Elie said...

This is interesting. At first glance I say NO. a big one. But after rereading the post and reading the words on the cover, it is kinda cool. Unless I was looking for this, I would never pick it up.

Anna Dougherty said...

Dracula is one of my all time favorite books and this cover just doesn't do it for me. I do like the colors and and the quote, but the rest just doesn't make sense to me. If I was at the store I wouldn't know what book I was looking at! Maybe it's too modern for a classic title?

Anna Dougherty said...

Okay, so I went back to study the image and I feel like a total dork for not seeing it before. The big letters are part of the quote! I guess I really am getting old:) So my new revised opinion is that the cover would make a cool print for the wall! I'd hang it up. Still not my favorite cover but at least now I get it:)

Witchy Woman said...

Dislike, it's overkill on the senses.

Bill, the Wildcat said...

Too clever for its own good. Looking at it makes me wonder if someone at Penguin lost a drinking game with a graphic artist.

A creative idea, but I don't think it fits the material, and from a practical standpoint, just doesn't accomplish what it sets out to do.

Stacy McKitrick said...

This isn't anything I would buy. The cover is totally confusing!

Taliesin_ttlg said...

Have to say it is way too modern and graphic arty for Dracula, for my tastes at least.

Michele Hauf said...

I agree that it would make a cool poster or tee-shirt. They revamped the covers of 8 books. Here is the link to all of those:
http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2010/march/penguin-and-red-covers

Bethie said...

Dislike. Doesn't fit the book at all.

Lisa R said...

Nope, not at all.

Anthony Hogg said...

Wow, I didn't know Dracula was joining The Matrix series...

So, no, not so keen.

Patricia Altner said...

OMG! That's awful. Someone should be fired.