Wednesday, March 24, 2010

YA Vamps: Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz

Blue Bloods, book #1 in the series.

From the back flap of this first book I had a hard time gauging what this book and series was going to be about. Read it and see what you think:

SCHUYLER VAN ALEN has never fit in at Duchesne, her prestigious New York City private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes to the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates. But when she turns fifteen, Schuyler's life haunts her in unexpected ways. And strangest of all, Jack Force, the most popular boy in school, is showing a sudden interest in her.
Once an outcast, Schuyler is thrust into Manhattan's most exclusive social circle. It's members are the powerful, the wealthy, and--as Schuyler soon discovers--the unhuman. They are Blue Bloods, an ancient group of vampires, and for centuries they've been invincible. Now something is preying on this elite group, and Schuyler wants to find out the truth. But is she the most vulnerable of them all? Blue Bloods at BN.com

So, what do you think? Does it give you a feel for the series? Or at least book one? It took me a bit to dive in. And then a bit longer to really get into the journey of this one. And, I'll tell you why. For the record, this just might be my first mixed review so please bare with me, just don't bite!

Shall we do constructive and then positive? Okay, here it is... Despite the cover, I thought that in favor of the description of Schuyler there would not be that much fashion or that Schuyler would no be among Manhattan's elite... And, well, she is and she isn't. There is LOTS of FASHION in this book. And lots of big name fashion to the point of putting down Tiffany's and if that is not fashion then I am not at liberty to know what most things fashion are in this book to the point of even being able to pronounce them. And to me that takes away from the story and all things vampire! And that why I picked the darn thing up in the first place... I mean I'm all for a night out on the town or out in the club, but when it takes over the story to the point of me wondering which character is even at which club, what they are wearing and I'm hoping desperately the writer gets us back to the point... You see what I'm saying here? Added to this is that the point of view changes among characters and sometimes within the chapter. Maybe this is just a pet peeve of mine, but thought I'd mention it in case that tends to mess with any other readers... One very real negative for me is fifteen year olds, vamps or not, pounding down drinks at parties and clubs. I get it, vamps can drink without getting drunk. But, fifteen?! I just took issue with this and I'm not even a parent. I think the point was over made is all. Lastly, there were some biological and spiritual issues in these novels that I did not expect nor have any way of anticipating based on the descriptions of the novels.

Well, once I got about halfway in the story started to get moving and we find that there's a bit of dispute over Schuyler's biological background! There are only so many vampires, called Blue Bloods, allowed "alive" at a time and they carry their memories with them in the blood cells, which is one of the coolest things of this series so far, and no one can seem to remember Schuyler! Upsetting, yes? Yes! Something also seems to be attacking the Blue Bloods, even though they are supposed to be invincible, literally, un-killable, because they recycle! Cool thing number two of the series so far. The villains in the series are also quite good! Very believable. Wow. Cool things three and four, the very best vampires can do mind control and have bloodhounds; which Schuyler (nicknamed Sky by her human friend Oliver) has one named Beauty and seems to be able to do a bit of mc too. Very cool! And, the bloodhounds somehow know to find them and protect them. Cool thing five that I'll share of the series so far is that if there are Blue Bloods... there must be Red Bloods too.... and they are? Em hem... heeeelloooo well, think about it.... Okay, you'll have to read it for that one. =]

Okay, maybe I was tad hard on the things I wasn't expecting in the series therefore not liking part, because there are several pretty neat things going on in this series. The problem may actually be that there are too many things going on and too many characters telling the story. And I think I would have liked Schuyler to be 16 or 17 starting out. But, that's just me. Or perhaps, I'm becoming a critic! Eeeek! I've just never felt conflicted on a book before like this. Have you read it? If so, what did you think? I fear I may have shied some away, but the second book is really much better than the first, really. That wasn't so bad, whew. Shall we continue with the series? If so, will you join me?

I've started Masquerade, Blue Bloods book #2 in the series and it has started off much better and begins in Italy! Much faster paced and now I know what the story is about, the characters and the story has really began! So, if you'd like to pick up and join me we can discuss this one and the rest of the series next month for YA vamp reads. Believe it or not, I'm actually enjoying this one much more!

What next? What other future YA vampire reads would you like to see here at VampChix? Some that are on my wanna reads list are (and these are just the ones on my short stack, literally, so please speak up if there are others on yours):


Just to name a few....ha! What shall we read next? =] Seriously... I. Can't. Stop. Reading. Vampire. Books...

Please email me with ya vamp book suggestions at slkcivilrwr@gmail.com, feel free to visit me at my blog, READ~WRITE~REVAMP, & I TWEET!

~ your ya vampchix,

2 comments:

Rain Maiden said...

Blue Bloods was not for me. I can't even remember what happens in it. I guess it didn't grab me. I haven't read the Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine, but it's on my list.

Shauna Kemp said...

Those are on my list too, just not in my possesion yet. I've heard they are good as well, thanks for sharing!