Monday, April 5, 2010

Review: EVOLVE: Vampire Stories of the New Undead

Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead is edited by Nancy Kilpatrick, and is now available.  Kelley Armstrong, Tanya Huff and twenty-two otehr Canadian dark fantasy and horror writers re-imagine the future of vampires in this new collection of all-[original short fiction—one of the most unusual and original vampire anthologies every compiled.  Evolve includes works by:
Kelley Armstrong
Tanya Huff
Claude Lalumiere
Mary E. Choo
Sandra Kasturi
Bradley Somer
Kevin Cockle
Rebecca Bradley
Heather Clitheroe
Colleen Anderson
Sandra Wickham
Rhea Rose
Ronald Hore
Bev Vincent
Jennifer Greylyn
Steve Vernon
Michael Skeet
Kevin Nunn
Victoria Fisher
Rio Youers
Gemma Files
Natasha Beaulieu
Claude Bolduc
Jerome Stueart

I enjoyed this anthology quite a bit!  I think there's a story in here for everyone.  An eclectic mix.  Some of my favorites were: 
Michael Skeet's RED BLUES.  A sexy riff on jazz and obsessive hunger that manifests in a slick read.
Victoria Fisher's THE DRINKER presents sublime vampirism with a kick.
SLEEPLESS IN CALGARY by Kevin Cockle is clever, with an unexpected twist.
Colleen Anderson's AN EMBER AMONGST THE FALLEN is strong and disturbing, but an interesting take on the new vampire.
And Steve Vernon's THE GREATEST TRICK had me nodding.  Who wants to be a vampire?  Love the subtle insinuation of vampires into society.

Check out the EVOLVE website where you can order one of the 3 limited special editions:
Hardcover signed by all contributors in a wood coffin
Hardcover unsigned
Trade paperback signed by all contributors.

VampChix has a review copy of EVOLVE to give away!  Simply tell us in the comments: Do you like anthologies?  Do you read all the stories in an anthology?  Buy them for one specific author, then perhaps read a few more stories?  How do you read anthologies?  [Winner will be announced on Wednesday.]

16 comments:

buddyt said...

I like anthologies because they usually enable you to get a good overview of all that is happening in a specific genre.

They very often introduce me to an author that is new to me.

I read all the stories in the book as I am one of those people who very, very seldom doesn't finish a book even if I am hating it !

Don't suppose the giveaway is open worldwide as the postage might be horrendous but if it is, then please enter me.

Thanks.

Carol T

buddytho {at} gmail DOT com

Virginia C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Virginia C said...

Hi, Michele! I love anthologies, and I read each and every one of the stories. It's a great way to discover new authors, even new genres. Also, I think established authors have a lot of fun writing quick, quirky, intense bursts of fiction. When the author has fun the reader has fun : )

gcwhiskas at aol dot com

tetewa said...

Yes I enjoy reading anthologies, this is how I've discovered many new authors! tWarner419@aol.com

SandyG265 said...

I like anthologies. I find It's a good way to find new authors. I read all of the stories unless there is one that I just totaly can't get interested in.

Anna Dougherty said...

I've heard really good things about this book. I might need to add it to my wishlist. Hmm, how many titles can I get on that list:)

Witchy Woman said...

I read all the stories in anthologies, to do otherwise would be like reading a single title to page 50, and disregarding the rest. It just isn't done, in my world. I do have to admit, the name of a familiar author usually draws me in.

donnas said...

I love anthologies. I tend to pick them up if I know one or more authors and use them to help decide if I want to read full length books by others in them.

joder said...

I buy the anthology in the first place because of the authors listed. I read every story in the antholgy--at least I start reading all of them--but stop reading any that don't work for me.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Mama Bookworm said...

I enjoy anthologies. I usually buy them for a specific author but read all the stories. It’s helped me find some new favorite authors and series.

thefictionenthusiast AT Live DOT com

mariska said...

i'm gonna be honest that i haven't read any Anthologies before. but i'm so curious about them.

i'm gonna try one though since everybody had read one, at least :)

uniquas at ymail dot com

Becky said...

I love reading Anthologies. I find new authors in some of them. I pick them up normally for a favorite author. I will read all of the stories in an Anthology.

beckyqward@gmail.com

pixie13 said...

I love anthologies. I usually read all the stories in an anthology the first time through, but may skip some on rereads. I rarely pay attention to what authors are in an anthology. Mostly I read them because sometimes I just like a really quick read.

gevin13{at}gmail{dot}com

Rain Maiden said...

I do like anthologies because I get to read authors that I probably wouldn't read. I love that you can order this book signed by the authors in a wood coffin. Thats cool!

heatwave16 said...

I usually pick up an anthology for a specific author, but I do love the chance to try out other authors.


heatwave96(at)hotmail.com

Karen W. said...

Yes, I like anthologies, and I read all the stores. Because I'm anal, I even read them in order. :)