Wednesday, April 21, 2010

YA Vampires - Recent & Upcoming Reads

Some recent and upcoming highly anticipated YA Vampire reads:

House of Night Book 7 ~ Burned by P.C. Cast, Kristin Cast
Burned (House of Night Novels)
Available April 27th!  Very soon, one more week & I can't waiiiiit!  

When friends stop trusting each other, Darkness is there to fan the flames….
Things have turned black at the House of Night. Zoey Redbird’s soul has shattered. With everything she’s ever stood for falling apart, and a broken heart making her want to stay in the Otherworld forever, Zoey’s fading fast. It’s seeming more and more doubtful that she will be able pull herself back together in time to rejoin her friends and set the world to rights. As the only living person who can reach her, Stark must find a way to get to her. But how? He will have to die to do so, the Vampyre High Council stipulates. And then Zoey will give up for sure. There are only 7 days left…
Enter BFF Stevie Rae. She wants to help Z but she has massive problems of her own. The rogue Red Fledglings are acting up, and this time not even Stevie Rae can protect them from the consequences. Her kinda boyfriend, Dallas, is sweet but too nosy for his own good. The truth is, Stevie Rae’s hiding a secret that might be the key to getting Zoey home but also threatens to explode her whole world.
In the middle of the whole mess is Aphrodite: ex-Fledgling, trust-fund baby, total hag from Hell (and proud of it). She’s always been blessed (if you could call it that) with visions that can reveal the future, but now it seems Nyx has decided to speak through her with the goddess’s own voice, whether she wants it or not. Aphrodite’s loyalty can swing a lot of different ways, but right now Zoey’s fate hangs in the balance.
Three girls… playing with fire… if they don’t watch out, everyone will get Burned.

Yowza!  I have to say, I did not love this series at first.  It took me a couple of books to really feel drawn in.  I mean they were good, just didn't feel the pull like I just had to have the next, but man oh man after the last couple, and especially after the last one Tempted, I've been dying to read Burned!  And, just reading this... Ugh, I have to wait another week?!  I'm so excited!!!  Although, Stevie Ray, who's on the cover, is not my favorite of the girls, I will survive.  I just have to know what happens next.  And Stark has to die?  Oh, I should have seen that coming, they worked so hard to keep him alive in Tempted!  Gosh that just seems so spoiler-y to me, but so does saying he has to die.  Why did they tell us that?!  Oh man, is it next week yet?  Is anyone else on book 7 yet so we can discuss?

The Vampire Diaries - The Return #1: Nightfall by L.J. Smith
The Return: Nightfall (Vampire Diaries)
Hardback was already out and came out in paperback March 4, 2010.

The first book in a new trilogy from L. J. Smith!
Elena Gilbert is alive—again.
When Elena sacrificed herself to save the two vampire brothers who love her—the handsome, brooding Stefan and the sleek and dangerous Damon—she was consigned to a fate beyond death. Until a powerful supernatural force pulled her back.
Now Elena is not just human. She has powers and gifts that were bestowed on her in the afterlife. What's more, her blood pulses with an overwhelming and unique force that makes her irresistible to any vampire.
Stefan wants to find a way to keep Elena safe so that they can make a life together. Damon, however, is driven by an insatiable desire for power, and wants Elena to rule as his princess. When Stefan is lured away from Fell's Church, Damon seizes his chance to convince her that he is the brother she is meant to be with...
But a darkness is infiltrating the town, and Damon, always the hunter, is now the hunted; he becomes the prey of...

The Vampire Diaries - The Return #2: Shadow Souls by L.J. Smith
The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Shadow Souls
Just came out in hardcover March 1, 2010.

On the run . . .
Elena Gilbert's love, the vampire Stefan Salvatore, has been captured and imprisoned by demonic spirits who are wreaking havoc in Fell's Church. While her friends Bonnie and Meredith explore the evil that has taken over their town, Elena goes in search of Stefan.
In order to find him, she entrusts her life to Stefan's brother, Damon Salvatore, the handsome but deadly vampire who wants Elena, body and soul. Along with her childhood friend Matt, they set out for the slums of the Dark Dimension, where Stefan is being held captive. It is rumored to be a world where vampires and demons roam free, but humans must live enslaved to their supernatural masters. . . .
Elena will stop at nothing to free Stefan. Yet with each passing day the tension between Elena and Damon grows, and she is faced with a terrible decision: Which brother does she really want?
Back in Fell's Church, Bonnie and Meredith have made some dire discoveries. They hastily try to follow Elena and warn her—only to be caught up in Elena's most dangerous adventure yet.

I'm currently finishing Nightfall and anxious to read Shadow Souls...where is Stefan?!  I've held it together fairly well considering he is my favorite Salvatore brother and it is an almost 600 page book.  Yep!  I could have done with a few less pages, but other than that the new series has lived up to my expectations.  Well, except for the missing green eyed vampire.  Sigh...  MUST.  FIND.  STEFAN.  Eh, hem.  :)

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Twilight Saga)
Due out June 5, 2010.

Synopsis at
Fans of The Twilight Saga will be enthralled by this riveting story of Bree Tanner, a character first introduced in Eclipse, and the darker side of the newborn vampire world she inhabits. In another irresistible combination of danger, mystery, and romance, Stephenie Meyer tells the devastating story of Bree and the newborn army as they prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion.

Just a side note about this, is that it will be available for download online for a short time for free online after from noon on June 7th to July 5th at  More information can be found at Stephenie Meyer's site.  Except for the fact that there is no word on Midnight Sun being finished.  Don't get me started!  Boo!  Grrr.  Rawr!  Bit* M*.  Okay, okay, I'll wait...  I mean she says she's not writing about vampires right now and that it is on hold.  And yet, her she is releasing this short bookette about a vampire. Hmm...  Okay, I am waiting!  What choice do I have?  I'm just saying!  =]

Free YA Gothic Novel by Marta Acosta

I just downloaded this from Marta Acosta's site the other day so that I can read it on my iPhone sometime.  I'm very excited to read it.  You should definitely pop on over there too!  You can also read directly from your screen.  There is another beautiful cover in the direct file, but this is the one displayed in the announcement.  You'll see what I mean when you go...So, go on over.  :)  

Well, what are you reading right now or anticipating reading?  If you'd like to compare or share reads you can find me at Goodreads!  :)  

Along with books coming out there are lots of movies I'd like to see and one of them I saw a poster for at the movies this weekend.  It actually falls into next weeks WOLF WEEK, but without the fur!  It's a modern day Beauty and the Beast, my favorite Disney fairy tale, sigh... It's kind of a techno or SF version, I need to do more research, the IMDb isn't even completely updated yet, but it looks pretty awesome to me!  Not sure about all the actors yet, but I like the idea.  See what you think.  Here's the IMDb for Beastly.  And here's my iPhone handy work as I walked into Date Night!  :)

According to my Entertainment Weekly summer movie guide, Beastly will be out July 30th, which, is not soon enough!  At least there is Eclipse on June 30th...  Did you think I forgot?  :)  Should be good, expectations are high!

Have a great day and see you next week for wolf week!



Soni (VampirePhile) said...

Interestingly enough, parts of this film "Beastly" were shot here in Montreal last year.

They had been speaking about it on the radio, but I wasn't paying much mind until one afternoon when I'd left work and was walking on a street I'm accustomed to, when I noticed that something was off... All the street names along the stretch were different... then it dawned on me, I was walking through a part of the set which was being a stand in for a New York City street! LoL!

Shauna Kemp said...

Wow, that is so awesome! Very cool. I'd have loved to have been there to see it. =] I hope the movie is great!

By the way, I love your blog! I just stopped by and am following now. I love Blood Ties and was devastated when it ended. The finale, that I think was supposed to be a season and not series ending just about killed me! Poor Henry! Anyway, thanks for stopping by, it was great to see you here & your blog! :)

Soni (VampirePhile) said...

Hi Shauna,
Thank you! And thanks for following :) I'll be checking out your blog after this too!

Yes Henry, Oh Henry how we miss thee!

Glad to meet a fellow BT fan. Yes they weren't expecting to be cancelled, hence why the ending is so, well "open ended".... but hope may prevail if the rumours come to be true about a series on Tanya Huff's S&M (Smoke & Mirrors) books to be made into a tv series, and thus would see the return of Henry (played hopefully, ONLY by Kyle Schmid :).

Yes I hope Beastly will be good too. Hvn't seen any previews yet myself though!

I'm not a heavy duty blogger, once a week at the most (twice as things come up) ... but I'm happy you like my blog!

~ Soni