Monday, May 3, 2010

Guest: Alexis Morgan

VampChix welcomes Alexis Morgan to the hot seat today.  Alexis is a very busy author who has a few different series out there right now.  She's published in contemporary romance, American West historicals, and currently writes paranormal romance.  DARKNESS UNKNOWN, a book in her Paladins series, is currently a finalist in the RITA contest sponsored by the Romance Writers of America (that's sort of like the Oscars for romance writers).  So here's....Alexis!

Five Things I Love About Vampires

         I want to thank the Vamp Chix for inviting me to visit today.  The timing is perfect because I’m celebrating the release of my very first full-length vampire story, Vampire Vendetta, from Silhouette Nocturne.  It’s set in the same world introduced in my Nocturne Bite, The Vampire’s Desire.   I’ve been a fan of the fang, to borrow an expression from Eric Northman, for a long time.   When I decided to try my hand at creating my very own vampire world, I had to think long and hard what it was that appealed to me about one of the most iconic of paranormal characters.  Today I thought I’d share some of the thoughts I had on the subject. 

1.  I love alpha heroes, and no one is more alpha than a powerful vampire. Depending on whose world he lives in, he’s likely to be taller, stronger, faster, and far older than your average human male, not to mention better looking.  What woman wouldn’t want all that intensity focused just on her? 

2.  I like stories that hover at the boundary of darkness and light.  That sharp edge provides the perfect environment for a vampire hero, who is very likely to be more at home in the darkest of shadows.  Add a heroine who brightens his dark life perhaps for the first time in centuries, and you’ve got my attention.  Even though he can never leave the darkness behind, she will stand beside him forever.

3.  Every vampire series is different, and I love the endless variety.   Sometimes they live among humans in secret; other times they make their presence felt throughout society.   There are vamps who are made and vamps who are a separate species.  Ones who by necessity shun the sun; others have adapted and can walk in the day.   With each new series I read, I love finding out what the author had done to make her world unique.

4.  I love the idea of a powerful vampire warrior who has sacrificed his life to protect the lives and secrets of his people.  His duty and sense of honor demands that he not trust outsiders.   A lonely life, to be sure, but a necessary one.   Then he meets that one woman who speaks to his heart and heals his soul.   Yeah, gotta love that. 

5.  Finally, I love stories where this big, powerful hero armed with a lethal set of fangs and incredible strength is brought to his knees by his love for that one special woman.  And she knows—absolutely knows—that he will use that strength to protect her, to cherish her, and never against her. 

So those are my thoughts.  Care to share any of your own?    

Alexis is giving away a copy of VAMPIRE VENDETTA to one lucky commenter today!  Show her some love in the comments, Chix!   

Visit Alexis at her website


Virginia C said...

Hi, Alexis! Congratulations on "Vampire Vendetta"! I love INTENSE. Who would want a Vampire who was not intense? Having said that, it's so much more attractive for that Vampire to have one soft spot--his love for a very special woman! You are right on about the increasingly creative and expansive world of Vampire fiction! A savory-sweet, sensual smorgasbord--let's dine : )

gcwhiskas at aol dot com

cait045 said...

Congrats on the new book! I agree that I like the stories where vampires in the dark and the heroine brings them out into the light again. I really like all kinds of vampire books.


Dot S. said...

I so agree with your alpha vampire. If he isn't edgy, sometimes violently protective, absolutely a hunk and totally besotten with our heroine then he's not the right vampire for me. A little background angst does wonders too.

nightsmusic said...

tsk...better not let DJ read that first reason. You might have a sulking Paladin on your hands and you know how he is when he sulks ;)

I think your list is spot on, but I have to add one thing. Vampire, Paladin, demon, cowboy, what have you, the author needs to stay true to the world she's built and not go changing things four or five books into the series just to suit a new hero's storyline. If the author can't do that, no matter how well the hero is written, I'm done with the series because she's blown my trust in her characters.

So dark, edgy, uber handsome and all powerful do it for me! And yours are some of the very best. :D

Alexis Morgan said...

I want to thank all of you for stopping by today! Yeah, those kickass vamps who'll do whatever it takes to keep their lady safe and alive really do it for me.

I also think that the heroine's job is to convince him that it's not enough to be willing to die for her--she wants him to live for her as well.


Caron said...

Alexis, I really agree with the last thing you said. I really think that's one of the main things that appeals to me. These alpha males live in the dark shadows (pun intended) and the heroine must convince him that it's ok and right for him to enjoy the bright things. I do love your 5 reasons, tho. And I agree with them and with NM's comment that it should be true of the Vamp, Paladin, or Cowboy.
And, having said that, I just chatted with DJ and you should know that he's a bit miffed. ;-)

SandyG265 said...

Congrats on the new book. I like heros who have some flaws. And I like some humor in my vampire books - HEA isn't absolutly necessary.

HighlandHussy said...

Hi Alexis! my goal is to get your "bites" ebooks...I don't have a reader though, so my poor eyes have to suffer on the computer :(
Vampchix- what a fun blog! thanks for the love of all things fangtastic for us vampire fans! :)

Rosie said...

Woohoo, congrats on the new book!! Looking forward to getting my hands on it. Thanks for stopping by.

Alexis Morgan said...

Thanks for all the happy thoughts, everyone--I appreciate it.


Barbara E. said...

Alexis, I enjoyed your Five Things I Love About Vampires and I agree with all of them. I love the many different takes on vampires that so many wonderful authors have come up with, and they're all fabulous in their own way. I'm looking forward to checking out your take on the vampire mythos as well.

Martha Lawson said...

Hi Alexis!! I love, love your books!! Have read all of your Alexis Morgan books and most of your westerns. Like I said, I'm a big fan. Looking forward to reading your new Nocturne - I Know it will be awesome.

I follow on gfc

mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

Alexis Morgan said...

Barbara--It is so much fun to discover a new vamp series with a whole new take on things--from light to dark and all shades in between.

Martha--Thanks for stopping by! I loved writing the westerns and it's nice to know that you enjoyed them so much. I hope you like my vamps as much--


Eko0724 said...

Oh Wow Congrats on being a finalist! Wow that is so wonderful and it must make you so very proud! Wonderful for you, I love to see authors get acknowledgment for a work written so beautifully!
I would stake myself over if I were to win a copy! LOL Oh then I would bite that good looking dark haired beauty too! LOL Please enter me to win a copy, and congrats again!

Mandy said...

Alexis, I love your books!!!! Would love to win a copy. Also loved your 5 reasons for loving vampires!!!!!

Mandy said...

PS ~ Keep those Paladins coming!!!!

Alexis Morgan said...

Eko0724--Yeah, I was thrilled to find out I was a finalist--it's my first time and I didn't touch ground for days after getting the call.

Mandy--Glad you enjoy my books so much. As far as the Paladins go, I just turned in Larem's book and now I'm working on DJ's. He's been waiting way too long time to get his own story--or at least that's what he tells me.


Mandy said...

Yippee, Alexis. Two books to look forward to. Can't wait!!!!!

mbreakfield said...

congrats on VAMPIRE VENDETTA! I love alpha males, too. However, I don't like them excessively brooding.

Lisa R said...

Harlequin Nocturnes were probably my first introduction to the paranormal romances. Boy, did they change my reading habits. I love the alpha male as long as he doesn't find it necessary to totally lord it over the weaker female. I just love to see the fireworks then he runs up against the modern feisty female who gives him a run for his money.
Congrats on the new books and keep them coming as I MUST feed my obsession.

alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com