Monday, June 14, 2010

BtVS: Witches and (eww) Bugs

Watched WITCH, episode 3 of the first season, and I don't think I've seen this one before.  It's entirely possible I've missed a handful of episodes throughout the seven season run, so this was a nice surprise.

This one was pretty good.  Buffy sets her sights on joining the cheerleaders because she wants to do something normal, something safe, though Giles believes it's a cult.  (Not an evil cult, just a weird gathering of women he cannot relate to.)  The villain is an evil cheerleader, just trying to measure up to her overachiever cheerleader mom.  Or is she?  :-)  There's a nice thread that runs through the whole series about Buffy and her mom and how they work out their relationship problems.  The generation gap.  We all got it.
Best line: "I laugh in the face of danger, and then I hide until it goes away." Zander
Bonus points to anyone who can tell me what that heap of a car is that Giles drives.  It's not a station wagon.  What is it?

Found it!  A Citreon DS.  Here's a pic:

Episode 4 is TEACHER'S PET

I hate shows about big bugs.  That is all.


Buffy starts dating, and she's head over heels in lust with Owen, until she has to do some head over heels kickass moves against the vampires.  Won't anybody give the poor girl a break and just let her have a little fun, dance with a cute guy and forget for one moment that The Anointed one may rise any night now?  Loved that they were able to break into the funeral home so easily and Giles hiding in one of the freezer body drawers.  Is it just me, or did the girls wear their dresses way too short in school?  Seriously.
At this point, I'm looking forward to Cordy getting on board with the team, because she brings in much needed snotty snark, and didn't she have a thing for Zander once?  No, don't remind me if she did.  I forgot, so let it be a surprise.  :-)

You can still get in on yesterday's contest for a DVD.  Page down and comment on who your favorite VILF is.


Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Gosh it has been awhile since I have watched season on! I liked Witch, it made me laugh when she became "hyper" buffy and started singing in the kitchen!

Michele Hauf said...

Hyper Buffy was fun! And I am really impressed how the actors really seemed to own their roles so quickly in this series. Sure, they have a lot of growth yet to come, but bravo to Sarah Michelle Geller for nailing the kickass schoolgirl who just wants to be a girl and not a vicious slayer.

Lorelei said...

Im not sure if Giles drove a Mini-Cooper or something else that has a strange name that you can't buy here in the States.

I remember being able to watch these first shows, thanks to a friend, but I can't recall all of it. I do know that Witch was a favorite. And yeah, the cast was excelent. Believable characters made the show. I loved Xander with his mix of tough-sounding, clownish smile, and big chicken thing. Comedy made the show what it was.

Michele Hauf said...

Lorelei, I wish i could find a pic of that car It's weird. Sorta station wagon-like, it's long and flat. Sort of Ghostbuster-ish, too. Hmm, will have to find a picture, me thinks.