Thursday, June 24, 2010

Guest: Cat Adams

Please welcome Cat Adams today!  Cat will be giving away a copy of BLOOD SONG to two lucky commenters, so please show some love in the comments, or ask a question! 

Ever since Varney the Vampire and Dracula first stole the breath from readers, vampires entered our consciousness and have refused to pull out their fangs.  For over two centuries, their mythos has changed and expanded,with nearly every writer putting their own spin on bloodsucking fiends.

Whether you consider vampires sexy, misunderstood “life challenged” creatures, or the evil undead, vampires (depending on the book/movie): can only be killed by a wooden stake to the heart, cannot touch anything holy, can change into a bat or a wolf, dissolve into mist, have no reflection, are allergic to garlic, burst into flame at sunrise, must sleep in a coffin with earth from his/her homeland, and possess no soul.

Whew! That’s quite a list and it’s only a tiny sample of the twists to the neverending story. As authors who wanted to try to create a vampire that had never been done before, we really had our work cut out for us. Enter the Thrall. In 2006, we released Touch of Evil where vampires existed in a way never before seen. Instead of humans passing on some form of supernatural disease, our creatures are sentient parasites. They’re tiny little things at birth and exist as part of a hive mentality, like bees. Laid as eggs in the bloodstream of willing (or unwilling) humans by a queen Thrall, the eggs hatch and the hatchlings quickly swim up through your veins up to the base of your skull. There they attach to your central nervous system, take control of your body and mind and force you to drink blood to feed itself. Of course, people can’t live on blood alone and eventually the parasite will grow too large to be contained by a person’s skull—so the human’s life is a short one. It’s a death sentence to become a Thrall host. Oh, and did I mention that, as a hive mind, they’re EVIL? No warm and fuzzy, leather clad heroes in this world! They can walk in sunlight, look like everyone else, and the saliva of a queen is like a really great drug that both gets you high and gets you off. Of course, the preferred hosts are athletic, healthy and great looking. All the better to last as long as possible once the health starts to deteriorate.

Yikes! What a way to go!

Touch of Evil was released as paranormal romance but was deemed so creepy it was only a few votes shy of the short list for the Bram Stoker horror award! We had seasoned, jaded horror writers contact us to tell us we gave them nightmares! LOL! Not a ringing endorsement for a romance, but a totally new spin on vampires.

But how to follow that up? Well, in Blood Song, the first book of The Blood Singer (just released on June 8th) we’ve returned vampires to their roots. Well . . . sort of, anyway. Vampires are again evil, but they’re mindless. When you die, you DIE. Bye-bye brain cells and personality. A fledgling vampire is ‘molded’ into a new personality by its creator or is a feral beast that hunts in dark alleys without any thought that it used to be human. It burns up in sunlight, is allergic to garlic once more and can’t touch holy items.
Except when they can. See, there’s more than one way to make a vampire in this new world, so there are some very old, and very powerful vampires who remember who they are (and were) that get in our heroine’s way. Celia Graves is unique even in her reality because a master vamp tried to bring her over . . . and failed. She kept her soul and her memories and her ability to walk in the light. But she lost some big things too. Like the ability to eat solid food. And imagine owning a spiffy convertible in sunny California when allergic to the sun! Eek!

Want to know more about Blood Song? Here’s what you can look forward to:

Bodyguard Celia Graves plies her trade in a world where vampires roam the alleys of Tinseltown and movie stars openly practice witchcraft., where streetcorner psychics have real powers and cops use memory enhancement spells on witnesses.  Though she’s an ordinary human, Celia uses street smarts and charmed weapons to protect the rich and famous from mortal and supernatural threats.

She’s landed a plum job, protecting the Prince of a small but politically vital nation while he tours Los Angeles’s least savory hot spots.  What should be a routine assignment goes badly wrong.  Attacked by a master vampire, Celia knows she is about to die. 

She’s startled to awaken on a cold metal table in a university lab.  Celia Graves has become an Abomination, neither fully mortal nor fully vampire.  Her “master” is hunting her, to destroy her or finish what his bite began.  She’s accused of murder and the cops aren’t sure whether she should be locked up or staked.  And then there’s the demon she glimpsed during the vampire attack . . . .

Struggling to cope with her new powers and trying not to terrify everyone she meets with a flash of fang, Celia reaches out for help from  her once (and future?) lover, who is a powerful mage; his warrior-priest brother; a handsome werewolf who keeps his lupine nature concealed from the world; an elderly clairvoyant, and one trustworthy cop. 

Celia Graves has three days to save the world, her sanity, and her soul.

[To download a pdf excerpt from BLOOD SONG, click here.] 

We’re VERY excited that just yesterday we learned Blood Song went to a second printing after only two weeks! Thanks for all who have bought it and know that there are more on the way if you haven’t. It’s also available as Kindle, Sony, Kobo and other eformat downloads.

The nice thing about Blood Song is that although it’s on the adult science fiction/fantasy shelves, it’s suitable for teens too! In fact, one of the premier Young Adult review sites,, gave the book 5 stars and their coveted Gold Award! Yay!

Here are a few (of many) places that have given a review of it:

So tell me what you like to see in a vampire! Let’s get some chatter going. Do you like the sexy, misunderstood sort of vamp or the evil undead of legend? What should be able to kill them? How powerful do you like them to be? Hero or villain? I want to know what you think.

Of course, if you have any questions about Blood Song or any of the Thrall books, I’ll be happy to answer them as well!

Visit me online at:


Shauna Leigh Kemp said...

Blood Song looks AMAZING! I already had it on my Goodreads to-read list and I can't wait to read it. Wow, great post, now I'm even more excited about it!!! Sounds absolutely thrilling, which lately, is just about how I like my vampire reads so this would be perfect!

And, what I like seems to be changing/morphing, although it usually always involves a brooding vampire of sorts, but.... I like the hero, definitely sexy, however, misunderstood and underdog or unexpected works as well. I'm learning to like surprises in stories, which is very new for me! Meaning, my mind can be changed, it seems... Ha! :)

I'm going to check out your twitter and some of your other links soon as well! Thanks so much!

Happy reading!

CatAdams said...

Thanks for dropping by, Shauna and know you're going to enjoy Blood Song. Yeah, I do have a weakness for the leather clad sexy ones myself. I just hate it when an author (or movemaker) pulls their . . . uh, *fangs* by making them all angst and no danger. Give me a vamp like Angel, who's fully capable of being scary and always has to fight against it. That's the heroic part. :D


Zita said...

I have to admit I prefer the evil vampire. I enjoyed the Master on Buffy and Tom Cruise actually did evil really well in Interview. Ilona Andrews does and interesting take on vampires in her Kate Daniels series where they are mindless blood-lusting creatures and are controlled by necromancers. I guess I'm more a traditionalist than anything else.

Blood Song sounds great and I'm going to hit the bookstore on Saturday and get me a copy! Thanks for the interesting post.

tina werner said...

i have to agree, blood song sounds like a great book! it's on my short list LOL!

i love my vamps sexy and dark. disturbed about their past of killing, but shows a soft side as well. i like them to be strong, very strong, but delicate at the same time. stakes to the heart are the only way to kill my vamps... and the sun hurts but doesn't burn.

welp, i'm glad i popped over to read the review because i'm really exited now about this book!

thanks for the chance to win!


stampitchick at yahoo dot ca

CatAdams said...

Ooo! You're right, Zita. I really enjoyed Cruise as Lestat. He did a nice with giving a visual to the sociopath Lestat was in the book. :)

tina, I know what you mean about the soft side. I like them ABLE to be soft but tough too. Guess I'm a Team Edward sort of girl (when they're not bad a**es. LOL

SandyG265 said...

I like my vamps to have a twist. I don't want to read a story that leaves me feeling like I've read that before.

CatAdams said...

Agreed! I like new and different (but no soooo different that you're left scratching your head wondering if it's a vampire or not.)

tetewa said...

I like the darker ones not neccessarily villians but ones with some kind of mystery surrounding them!

CatAdams said...

Definitely need mystery! :D

necrosage2005 said...

If you guys like these books just wait untill you read Brian Lumley's Necroscope series! These sound good, so I'll have to give them a try. I LOVE the fact that they aren't emopires (emotional vampires) like Rice's or the Twilight series.

C. T. Adams said...

Hi Guys! C.T. Adams - the other half of the Cat Adams duo. I'm so glad you all stopped by. I like my vampires scary. VERY scary. Guess I'm a traditionalist.

jeanette8042 said...

I love hero vampires who are super powerful but still have a dark past that humanizes them a bit. Also the ability to love! I think beheadings and a stake through the heart should be the only things that kill them.

Shauna Leigh Kemp said...

Thanks, Cat, yes Angel is the perfect example of the vampire type I was referring to, thanks for catching that! :)

I started out TeamEdward too, and I guess, will always be... (I know!) :) But Angel, has so many depths! Ooooh, I never thought I'd say *but* in the same sentence as Edward, interesting... Anyway, LOVE that type, and yes, that he can love, that's a good type too! :)

And, I agree, mystery is good too.

It's been so great chatting with you! I'm so very excited about Blood Song!!!

throuthehaze said...

This book sounds great! I definitely prefer the sexy misunderstood type of vamp.

heatwave16 said...

I have to go with the sexy vamp, but they can be good or evil. I'm not in favor of the whole holy items & garlic can hurt them. For being a tough and powerful creature, that seems a bit crazy. With that said, I do enjoy all the different vamp varieties.

Blood SOng sounds amazing, and I have a big circle around it.

californiameaghan said...

i love any and all vampire stores and this one sounds great!

meaghan_koci (at) yahoo (dot) com

Barbara E. said...

For myself, I like the sexy vamps. I love all of the different variations that authors have come up with for the vampire mythology. For example, I enjoy Lara Adrian's take of the alien hybrid vampire, and Jeaniene Frost's vampires that can only be killed by stabbing the heart with silver or cutting off the head.

This new series sounds pretty cool and I can't wait to read Blood Song.

mariska said...

I like A sexy vampire, with some 'evil' , and still i need to feel 'a good heart' in him :)

I love the cover Cat, and I'm sooooo looking forward to have the chance to win it ! coz you are a new for me author.

van_pham said...

i love all vamps! :D


buddyt said...

I must admit I am a traditionalist and prefer my vampires to be evil and cruel. That said I have enjoyed some books which attempted to show the other side of a vampire but generally only if there were also other evil vampires in the story.

This book sounds interesting and if the giveaway is open to worldwide entries, I would like to enter.


Carol T

buddytho {at} gmail DPT com

CatAdams said...

Great to hear all your comments. Sounds like you're like me--you want the best of both worlds. Vampires that CAN be evil and dark, but who choose not to. In that case, you'll LOVE Blood Song. Hope you enjoy it and thanks so much for stopping by to chat! :D

YzhaBella (aka Kate) said...

I think my favorite type of vampire is the one who resists his natural urges towards murder and mayhem! Even after turning, he retains a sense of his humanity and while not adverse to killing those who might truly deserve it, my vamp would more likely be the hottie saving the damsel in distress!

I've had my eye on Blood Song for awhile! Please enter me!

Have a Bloggerific day!
Kate (aka YzhaBella's BookShelf)