Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Mortal Instrument Series & The Infernal Devices

Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments & The Infernal Devices:

Her first book in the TMI series is City of Bones and there is a really good description of what is going on in the world of creatures she has created that can be found at Goodreads:

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

This is a series that for some reason I put off reading for quite a while.  I bought the first couple and then put them on the shelf and even had a couple of friends recommend and I kept saying I get to it and never did until recently.  I'm still not sure why it took so long, because once I got into it, I couldn't put it down.

Now, since this is demon week, we are talking about demons.  However, this series includes all kinds of creatures and the Shadowhunters are the ones who protect people from the demons.  So, not to be anti-demon here, but it kind of reminded me of the show Supernatural for any of you out there who watch that.  (I'm a huge fan, so this was a big hit for me, woot!)  And, like in that series, there are vamps and weres and other demons that they are hunting and protecting unsuspecting people from.

(Dean lurking in a grave yard! Supernatural)

If you take another look at the covers, just by glancing at them, you get a glimpse of the details of the world, both demonic and glamourous that she has created for the readers to enjoy.  Parts of it are almost gothic, with repeating references of Gothic cathedrals, places made of bones, and a cat named church (okay that one I just had to mention) and holy places with weapons, all covered with protection of glamour so that those unsuspecting bystanders don't see what they aren't supposed to.  And, there is SO MUCH MORE.  The characters alone you want to know, I mean really, really know.  Jace is the Shadowhunter of all Shadowhunters; I'm pretty sure the demons fear him.  Not to mention there is some question over whether or not he has demon blood of his own at some point in the series.  Oh, and that reminds me, with demons, aren't there always angels around somewhere too?  Kind of like in Supernatural?  :)

Also, don't forget the faeries, warlocks and oh my, those demons have a lot to contend with...  I definitely recommend this series!  And, it is not often I give a definite recommend, but this one kept me up nights reading until the end.  I can't wait until the 4th book comes out in March called The City of Fallen Angels!  Though, that title makes me a little nervous...  Readers beware!  This series is not for the lighthearted... And, don't be fooled, Twilight's Stephenie Meyer may quote the book, but it is no repeat of Twilight or just a vampire world, in fact, it's quite a while until the vamps and weres show up in this one...  Demons definitely dominate and those who fight them...

The Mortal Instruments (Simon & Schuster)  where they have some awesome book and author information, including some demon hunter wallpaper fun and a fabulous countdown to where the demon world really began in the prequel series coming out soon, later this year!

(Wallpaper adaptation from the book cover, with Jace!)

Believe you, me... You want to read about Jace the Shadowhunter of demons and the like...

Visit the Infernal Devices website!

Happy Demon slay, I mean, reading!  :)

~Shaunayour "ya expert"
you can also find me at my blog 
READ~WRITE~REVAMP, twitter, & goodreads


Stella (Ex Libris) said...

I can't understand why I ahven't read the Mortal Instruments series yet! I mean I've only heard good things about it, everyone praises it saying it is exceptional and somehow I ahve this irrational fear, prejudice that it being a YA series I won't enjoy it. Stupid I know, and I can well imagine that once I start reading it I will become a rabid fan after the first 50 pages or so :-p

Will have to vanquish my irrational fear and get my hands on it!! ;-)

Raonaid Luckwell said...

Now I feel bad because I have never heard about this. Damn, hubs not gonna like to hear there is more books being added.

Shauna said...

I had all of the exact same fears and problems!! And yes, you will become rabid fans, er, sorry to report!! It's definitely worth the giving in.

I also meant to include that it really is not just for YA I mean I was transfixed and it's really a much higher read than what most consider "ya". It does have some ya moments of course, but it will not disappoint adult audiences at all.

I know, I had to add them to my shelf as well... Had to run out and by book 3 in hardback, because the paperbacks in these take about a year to follow and book four isn't out until March 2011. She releases books about a year at a time. Until the Infernal ones start coming and then I guess we get 2 in one year!

Let me know how you like them!! :) My friends were definitely thrilled I'd finally given in and read them; and then I tormented them about Jace until I finished reading them... I suggest doing the same*! Ha ha!!! =*]

*There are spoilers out there though and my friends wouldn't give it up and looking back I'm glad, so, I do suggest avoiding all spoiler-y material if possible! :)

Vatche said...

Great, more books to add to my reading list. Sounds really like an interesting read, I guess I'll give it a chance on my TBR list. Awesome post and write on!

mariska said...

DARN ! I haven't heard about this series before. and i believe i had missed great books !

mbreakfield said...

I haven't heard of this series. It sounds great. Supernatural is one of my fav shows, too.

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I have been on the fence with these since I am not a fan of YA in a whole. However, I may need to give them a shot :)

Oh and Dean could lurk in my backyard anytime!

Rosie said...

I read the first book in this series, but then got so wrapped up in many other books, forgot to get the rest of the books. I need to get on it because I did enjoy the first one.

Victoria said...

I love this series. Jace and Clary are wonderful. Glad Cassandra wrote more.

iokijo said...

Thanks for the information on this series. It sounds fantastic.. so yep another one added to the wish list.. I need to win the lottery so I can start getting them of the wishlist and onto a

thanks again.