Monday, July 19, 2010

Guest: Christina Martine


Please welcome Christina Martine to VampChix today!  I was perusing the Followers list one day, and clicked through her profile (yes, I may check up on all of you every once in a while) and noticed she had written a vampire novel.  You can read the first chapter at her website, and I have to say, I really enjoyed the faery tale quality of that first chap.  Looks like a great read!  And she has a neat video where she is talking directly to readers, telling them about her book.  I thought that was awesome (and you can view it below).  Christina is giving away a copy of CAT THE VAMP, so show her some love in the comments!  [Winner announced Wednesday.]  So without further ado...

Hello fellow vampire fans! Thanks for reading.

As you may have already guessed, I sort of have a thing for vampires. My love affair with the horrifying, yet oh-so-mysterious and sexy creatures of the night all started back when I first read Anne Rice’s, Interview With The Vampire as a teen. I fell in love with these powerful and seductive beings who were also intensely troubled. I felt I could identify more with these bloodsuckers than my high school classmates!  Instead of crushing on Tommy from homeroom I was crushing on Lestat, the rock star bad boy vampire that could live forever. Before bed each night, I began praying for vampires to come find me and change me into one of them. Unfortunately, that never happened, but my love affair was still fiery.

I came across the idea of “real vampires” and was immensely intrigued. The idea that one could possess an energy-leak and have the ability to give and take life energy really fascinated me. It was also, at the time, a perfect explanation for my teenage hormonal imbalance! I found there were many others out there who enjoyed this same notion. Suddenly, I wasn’t alone. I realized I no longer had to pray for strange men in capes to come bite me. Vampires were everywhere; all I had to do was open my eyes to the world.  



About the book:
They never imagined the temptations of power, love and blood...

As a child, Catherine Taylor never understood why her parents were so secretive and distant. After the death of her grandmother, Cat’s parents take her to a mysterious castle called Blacklune. They explain to her that they, and she, are vampires, part of a hidden community co-existing with humans. Now that she’s of age, Cat will be initiated into the community and undergo a period of training in its methods and morals, along with several other vampire students her own age.

At Blacklune, Cat meets a young man who had appeared to her in dreams, Morgan. She and Morgan form an instant bond, but success with their vampire lessons doesn’t come so easily. Tempted by the lure of blood and the powers they now have, Cat and Morgan push the limits over and over, ignoring the concerns of their classmates and the scolding of their teacher, River. As they become ever more reckless, Cat and Morgan risk going too far. It’s only when serious harm comes to someone else that they realize they have to control themselves--and it may be too late.

I’m going to be giving away a paperback copy of Cat the Vamp to one lucky reader.
What’s your favourite vampire novel? Who’s your all time favourite vampire character? Leave a comment below for a chance to win.

You can visit me at www.christinamartine.com to find out more about me and my first novel!  You can also read an excerpt from Cat the Vamp there. 
My email is catthevamp@live.com. I would love to hear from you. I like to keep things personal and always try to keep in touch with readers. 
Follow me on these sites:
Become my fan on Facebook: www.facebook.com/christinamartinefanpage and find out about giveaways, contests and all sorts of fun vampy stuff.

Buy Cat the Vamp online:
Cat the Vamp is now available in the Apple iBookstore for your iPad!
Amazon

14 comments:

SandyG265 said...

My favorite vampire is Barnabas Collins from the original Dark Shadows.

tina werner said...

my favourite vampire novels... i have more than one

1. the casa dracula series by marta acosta
2. the vampire academy series by richelle mead
3. the twilight series by stephanie meyer
4. the sookie stackhouse series by charlaine harris
5. the house of night series by pc & kristen cast

my favourite vampire is eric northman in the books and on screen... yum!

thanks for the chance to win!

stampitchick at yahoo dot ca

Lou said...

I think my favorite vampire from a novel would have to be a tie between Sebstian Delacourte from Michele Hauf's Dark Rapture and Caine Valorian from Vivi Anna's Blood Secrets.

And my favorite novel is, was, and forever will be Dracula by Stoker.

Lorelei said...

Charlaine Harris' books/Eric there, definitely.

But in film I'm still in love with Dracula played by Frank Langella.

My story: when I was a teenager, I was so crazy about vampires, I told a boy who was hounding me that I was going out with a vampire. He turned around and claimed he knew him!

And I'm still trying to learn if I'm a psychic vampire (I know what you are talking about *real* vampires are all around us, Christina!)

Lorelei said...

Charlaine Harris' books/Eric there, definitely.

But in film I'm still in love with Dracula played by Frank Langella.

My story: when I was a teenager, I was so crazy about vampires, I told a boy who was hounding me that I was going out with a vampire. He turned around and claimed he knew him!

And I'm still trying to learn if I'm a psychic vampire (I know what you are talking about *real* vampires are all around us, Christina!)

Annie Cole said...

My favorite would be Anne Rice's Lestat.

Kirsten said...

My favorite Vamp is Eric Northman of course and my favorite novel gosh... I can't pick just one.

I love Death to the world, Single White Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, A twist in time, Eclipse, Undead and unemployed, Forbidden nights with a vampire, Spirit bound ... I can go on and on.

Dot S. said...

My favorite vampire novel: RAPHAEL by D.B. Reynolds

My Fave vampire: Raphael from the same book.

I truly think I will enjoy your book since I'm a fan of the not so sparkly vampires.
salvagin@verizon.net

Lou said...

Dot, I think everyone's a fan of the not so sparkly vampires.

donnas said...

My favorite vampire is Eric from the True Blood series.

My favorite novel is a much harder one to answer. I dont think I can pick just one so heres some of my favorites:
-Dracula
-Night Huntress series
-Queen Betsy series
-Sookie Stackhouse series
-Anna Strong series

iamthehmic said...

If I have to pick only 1 favourite for a vampire novel and character, it would have to be Bones from the Dark Huntress Series. This was a really tough question to answer, I have many many favs!!

mariska said...

My vampire favorite novel ;
- The Night Huntress Series

My favorite vampire : Shane McAllister on WVMP

cait045 said...

Bones is my favorite vamp ever. English accent is too hot!

Christina Martine said...

Thanks for all the comments! :) There are so many good books I have to check out!! :)