Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Review: My Love Eternal by Liz Strange


From the Publisher:

Blood, sex and eternal life... What more could a girl ask for? Tall, dark, and sexy, as well as fabulously wealthy, Giovanni is everything a girl could ask for in a lover. There's only one catch. He's been undead for more than three hundred years. When Rachel is drawn into Giovanni's world, she learns that the rules of human existence mean nothing in the world of vampires. This, however, is a fair price to pay for a love that will last forever. Hunted by the Desmarais family, who carry a centuries-old vendetta, Rachel and Giovanni travel to the ends of the earth in order to stay one step ahead. Can their love survive, or will their eternity together end?

Content Warning: Violence, sexual encounters with the undead.

Review:

"Sometimes the past has a way of stealing your future," he said sadly. I trailed off into sleep with those words replaying in my mind. I dreamt of blood and lust, and the loss of something that was never mine to begin with.

It was these lines at the end of chapter 9, about halfway through the book, that snared my attention and finally gave me the connection that I am always searching for whenever I meet new characters. Up until this point Giovanni was painted as a tragic and mysterious stranger that was inexplicably drawn to Rachel, but they both seemed almost undeveloped and I was glad to have the opportunity to learn some of the history that helped shape them. Giovanni shares his painful past with Rachel, explains the vendetta between him and the Desmarais family, and they vow to leave the past behind and shape a new future together.

It's difficult to explain but I felt like the characters of Giovanni and Rachel began their relationship in a hurried manner, without enough explanation involved. Rachel blindly accepted that Giovanni was a vampire and never questioned joining him for all eternity and leaving her life behind- something that just didn't feel like a genuine response. That aspect of the plot wasn't really the focus of the story but it did bother me.

The rest of the story moves with more of a natural flow and new characters (Charles, Charlotte, and Eli) are added to bring depth and complexity to the plot. The Desmarais family returns, armed with disturbing new knowledge of how to kill and destroy vampires, and the story unfold in a way that I never saw coming. I'll leave the rest for you because I don't want to include spoilers in any of my reviews.

Overall, I'd rate this as a solid debut and I'd be interested in seeing what happens in the next book. A Second Chance at Forever, second in the Dark Kiss trilogy, is available now in ebook format.


To learn more about Liz Strange, My Love Eternal, or any of her upcoming projects, visit her website.

For a great interview with the author, check out Bite Club today!

*This book was given to me by the author for review.
*Reviewed for VampChix by Anna Dougherty

No comments: