Wednesday, August 18, 2010

YA Vampires... Er, werecoyotes? Vampire Slayer!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Book 1 ~ Story 1: Coyote Moon:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer 1: Coyote Moon; Night of the Living Rerun; Portal Through Time

From Goodreads:
In every generation, there is a Chosen One. A slayer destined to protect the human race. She alone must fight the demons of hell. She alone must risk her life to stop the spread of evil.
Buffy is the Chosen One.
In Coyote Moon, a typical night at the carnival becomes deadly as shape shifters turn the amusement park into their own house of horrors.
Buffy starts having past-life nightmares in Night of the Living Rerun, and must face her historic counterpart before the events of the past repeat in the present.
In Portal through Time, Slayers over the centuries are in danger, and Buffy must protect them in order to save her own life and legacy.

First off, isn't this cover AMAZING?  Well, I was impressed!  This is probably one of my favorite YA book covers, top 5 at least...

Second, if you are a fan of the show, the first story in book 1 is slightly disappointing.  Mostly because there are no vampires named Angel or Spike, or vampires at all!  The title, Coyote Moon hints at another creature obviously, but I kept waiting for Angel to creep out from a dark shadow in a couple of places, but nope, he doesn't.  I don't mean this as a spoiler, only that I was truly disappointed and if you are wanting that as much as I did you should know he's not going to creep in the shadows as he normally does.  I'm still holding out hope that he will in one of the other stories.  Buffy does mention him so...  Who knows!  Ha ha!!  I mean even Spike would have been cool...  I was just surprised at the lack of vampires in the first story...  She is the vampire slayer after all!  But yes, she fights all kinds of supernatural beings so it still works overall.

Thirdly, the dialogue and banter is very similar to the show so in that regard the writing is pretty solid, if not just a little more YA than the show.  Some of the writers are from the show I believe, so maybe it is just that I am reading it instead of seeing it?  I am not sure why it seems so different really, but overall still pretty good.  And YA I normally like, however, the show just seems more adult-like.  And, probably since I saw it first I can't help, but compare...  So, it took me a little while to get into the first story, but once I did I enjoyed it.  

I will keep reading on to the next stories of Book 1 and beyond and see if Angel, Spike or any other vampires pop up!  You?  Has anyone else read these yet?  If so, what did you think?  Volume 2 just came out August 10th!  And Volume 3 will be out in November.  These covers look pretty vamping awesome as well!  :)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 2: Halloween Rain; Bad Bargain; Afterimage

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 3: Carnival of Souls; One Thing or Your Mother; Blooded

Happy Vampire Slayer reading!


Hilda said...

Great review, I've been wondering about these books. Will wait for another review, maybe I'll get one then :)

Shauna Leigh Atkinson said...

Thanks! I'll keep reading and keep you posted!! =*)