Thursday, October 21, 2010

Review: THE GREYFRIAR: Vampire Empire #1

THE GREYFRIAR: Vampire Empire, Book One by Clay & Susan Griffith is the best book I've read this year.  (I had probably in that last sentence, then took it out.  No doubts, it is the best.)  I think I tend to get stuck in the romance genre with my reading.  Reviewing books for VampChix gives me the opportunity to check out other genres, and I'm hoping to convince you all to buy this book.

Set in a nineteenth-century world following a plague of vampires, the humans have become mindless cattle to the vampires, who now rule major sections of the world.  Dirigibles soar through the air, as well as the weightless vampires who have no emotions, very little sensory capabilities, and a desire to destroy all things created by the humans.  Princess Adele, heir to the Empire Equatoria, is traveling to meet her fiance, the adventurous and boisterous Senator Clark, when her airship is set upon by vampires.

The legendary Greyfriar rescues her, but not for long.  Determined to save the princess from the evil vampires, the Greyfriar unrelentingly pursues.  Hidden behind goggles and a disguise, he is revered by the mortals who cower in their villages, fearful of a vampire attack.  Adele, who was raised royalty, is swept into a journey through the darkest parts of London, populated with vicious vampires, and learns much about the common people she had once thought merely food for the vampires.

Two vampire brothers clash, Cesare (the bad guy) and Gareth (the good guy; or is he?), and every interaction between them is tight and intriguing.  Flay, the warrior vampiress who leads her wicked troops called the Pale, is determined to please the one brother who will provide the most advance for her.  But which one is that?  And will the stalwart warrior recognize her burgeoning emotions that could bring her down in battle?

The story opens quickly, and jumps right into the action.  Some historical reads tend to fill pages with detail and history of cities and societies, but not this one.  The Griffiths seamlessly weave in the details, while not once pausing to slow down the pace.  It makes this book a page turner.  If you're looking for an interesting setting, with gorgeous detail, great dialogue and is all-around satisfying, pick this one up.  Romance fans will not be disappointed by the well-crafted relationship that grows into a devastatingly delicious pairing.  Yet not all issues and ends are tied up as you turn to the last page, and smile, because you know another great tale about Adele and the Greyfriar must be coming.

Return to VampChix next week when the Griffiths guest during the VampBash and will give away a copy of their book!

Click on over to Bite Club today for the Griffith's take on DRACULA!

10 comments:

Delilah Devlin said...

Thanks for the thoughtful review. It sounds like just the read for me. Steampunk, vampires, rich world building, I'm sold!

Donna said...

Glad to a good review on Vampire Empire since I've had this on my radar for quite sometime now. It seems to be on the dark side of reading which I've be leaning towards lately in my reading. Thanks for the review, enjoyed it.

Caren Crane said...

This book sounds marvelous! I can't wait to pick it up. I'm always on the lookout for great new vampire reads!

SQT said...

This has been on my most wanted list for awhile. I'm glad to hear the inside is as good as the cover.

Queen Rachie said...

i plan to get this and read it. saw somewhere else this morning a post about this book and they gave a rave review also. So it is now a must read for me.

Rain Maiden said...

I'm putting this one on my wish list.

Suse said...

This sounds awesome! I can't wait to read it! Great cover, too.

ediFanoB said...

I Pre-ordered the book (US edition, Prometheus Books) in July 2010. Your review confirms my decision. Now I wait for delivery of my copy somewhere in November 2010. UK edition by Gollancz will be published in February 2011.

Vickie said...

Okay, it's on the WWBL. Thanks for the cranium's up!

Edna said...

Sounds fantastic! Thanks for the review.