Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Hunger Games Series

Well, originally we were scheduled for a hunter/slayer week this week...  I have to admit, I've been working on organising my own reading and writing bits lately so I don't know that we are actually doing that any more...  However, I was slated to talk about The Hunger Games and it really is a YA series that even adults are loving and it is getting lots of attention all around.  So... I decided to go ahead and stick with my post topic.  And no, there are no vampires (sorry!), but still, there is a lot of blood and guts and bravery to the 10th degree.  I'm currently reading the 3rd book of the trilogy and have already been brought to tears, and cheers, a couple of times. 

In this series I have to remind myself that these are just kids who are put in this situation and who get themselves out of it; with some help of course.  But still, I am wowed, by the storyline and the writing as well.  It is the type of YA book that gets me all pumped up to keep on writing and reading, because that is how books are meant to be written (In my opinion!).  Not that these are perfect books, I'm not qualified to judge that, but the style is one that I greatly approve and seek out as a reader.

In The Hunger Games, bk #1, the synopsis from Goodreads is:

"Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love."

In this series it is actually the kind of slaying and hunting of the worst kind... Of others or yourself!  And they are just children... and it is to the last one standing!  I'm still in awe when I think of the premise of this story and how it unfolds.  Alliances are made..  Choices, sacrifices, the very definition of ones character is shown by how they play the game.  Only for the ones in the game, it is in fact for their life.  And, to make matters worse, it is all on-camera for everyone at home to watch.  It is quite an emotional ride for the reader as well.  I don't recommend them for younger YA readers, but I have heard that even the guys are liking this series and some schools are even reading them in their curriculum.  We have one in our city I just learned is reading it.  Pretty cool, but wow!  If you've read them, you'll understand what I mean by "wow"!  It is quite a powerful series for sure.

So far, I think book 2, Catching Fire, is my favourite, but I am also loving book 3, Mockingjay.  I am a quote person, constantly updating my goodreads page with a great quote from my "currently-reading" book.  Right now, my bookmark rests on this one about halfway through...

"Don't you see, Katniss, this will decide things.  One way or the other.  By the end of the day, they'll either be dead or with us.  It's... it's more than we could hope for!" ~Finnick (a fellow tribute with Katniss)

So, for a short vampire break, I definitely recommend The Hunger Game series!!!

Happy reading & Happy Thanksgiving all!

p.s.  Did you notice the progression of the covers? First off, they are beautiful hard cover books, but also, they definitely "show" a bit of the trilogy storyline and how it will unfold as well.  That's as spoiler-y as I'll get!  Though, it is fairly obvious anyway...  :)


cait045 said...

I fell in love with this series. I can reread it tons of times.

rashid1891 said...

In this series it is actually the kind of slaying and hunting of the worst kind... Of others or yourself! And they are just children... and it is to the last one standing!