Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Win vampire fun!

VampChix received a couple cool vampire books from Dover Publishing, so I'll tell you a bit about them, and then I'll give them away!

VAMPIRE NIGHTS STAINED GLASS COLORING BOOK by Arkady Roytman is another of Dover's many stained glass books.  If you've never tried one of these before, you're in for a treat.  The pages are transparent, and the image is in black on both sides, so you can color in with markers or colored pencils or even paints, and then when you're finished, you have a gorgeous 'stained glass' picture to hang up on a window.  They look awesome when the sun shines through them.  When my kids were little, I used to color the Xmas stained glass pictures and hang them up for the holidays.  But you don't have to have kids to color in these books!
Vampire Nights, especially, will appeal to fans of Twilight, and vampire romances.  All the pictures within feature young, sexy, brooding vampires.  The scenes are surrounded by thorned roses, skulls and bats to give it a gothic touch. There are rock stars, pining couples, nightclubs, and general vampire goodness within.  I recommend using markers for the brightest results!

VAMPIRE PAPER DOLLS  by Tom Tierney is more than just kid's stuff.  It's a nice lesson on the lore and mythology of vampires through the medium of paper dolls.  The vividly colored dolls (starting with Lilith and Cain) have interchangeable heads and clothing.  Just some of the vampires inside are: The Blood Countess, Dracula, Lamia, Kali, Lord Ruthven, Carmilla, Barnabus Collins, Buffy and Spike, and of course Sookie and Bill.  Even if you're not into paper dolls, a stroll through the pages will bring a fanged grin to your face.  A must-have for those who collect vampire books and ephemera.


These books can be ordered from Amazon, or directly from Dover Publications, where they also feature sample pages so you can take a look inside before ordering.

VampChix has will give away a package of the above two books, along with GLOW-IN-THE-DARK VAMPIRES STICKERS, which Dover also sent along.  To enter, tell us in the comments what hobbies or crafts you like to do that may or may not be related to your love for vampires.  Winner will be announced on Friday!

16 comments:

SandyG265 said...

I like to garden which hasn't got any relation to vampires. Unless you grow garlic.

Kirsten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethie said...

I crochet and I find it very relaxing. Besides my books, that is my passion.

lizzi0915 at aol dot com

Melissa Walker said...

Hi Michele! I make vampire themed, personalized bookmarks from a line of scrap booking supplies created by Marah Johnson. It's the only dark, gothy papers and stickers I've ever come across and I just love it. Your readers can find it here if they are interested!

Breathless - http://store.scrapbook.com/collection-brand/breathless-creative+imaginations.html

HockeyVampiress said...

I have always done crafts, I like to draw but have no talent so that was out so I released my craftyness with different media. From decorative wreaths, to knitting, to bead work , to italian link bracelets and most recently I have been making beaded book thongs with hand enamelled beads with book covers and pictures miniaturized on them. Many authors are now using them as give aways which is like awesomeness. I would absolutely love these books. I am the only female in a house filled with testosterone, 5 human 3 4 legged....

Michele Hauf said...

Thanks, Melissa, for including that link! Cool papers! I love to buy decorative paper, but then...I never do anything with them. I'm not a scrapbooker. So I have a collection of pretty paper. Hmm... :-)

Shasa said...

I like to meake my favourite lover wear a CB device. I don't know why but I think it's a little bit vampirical...

Melissa Walker said...

You are welcome! Maybe you could try your hand at making a card or two. Small, not intimidating, and you save $ by not buying those over-priced cards at the store. I've made cards with these Breathless papers for Anniversary and Valentine's Day. If you want to see any of it, I can public a Facebook photo gallery and post the link. :-)

Anonymous said...

Those are fabulous books!!!

I cross stitch and do oil paints.

I paint landscapes as I am just beginning and am practicing.

I cross fantasy pictures mostly. My favourite designer is Joan Elliot and I just got one of her books full of wizards, dragons and witches...looking forward to stitching!!

Valerie
in Germany

Lil said...

I have been doing a bit of beading and love some of the richer red colors and jewel tones. It reminds me of decadence, which puts me in mind of vampires and opulence.

CLMcCune said...

When I'm not reading I do cross stitch. And I read alot.

Teril said...

OH my gosh, these were hilarious and great!
I love Mod Podge and scrapbooking.
When I am not reading I am taking photos during the daylight.

Carrie said...

OMG. What a great giveaway. I love to scrapbook, color and do pretty much any craft that involves stickers. I always put stickers on packages that I send my family and not so family members.
Thanks for that link I have been searching for the perfect piece of goth paper.

Michikit said...

Long walks along Danube while taking photos. This is what is relaxing to me.

Vickie said...

I love my xeric gardening here in Colorado. Helps bring in the hummingbirds and the bees, no vampires...yet...
Need to get back to my cross-stitch projects, too. Had to stop when Lady K was a baby and kept grabbing the thread and tearing the patterns. She's 7 and past the thread grabbing for the most part.

mortiana said...

I collect gothy/dark themed post cards, business cards and similar small items and I put them in small photo albums randomly matching them to theme/color/
content, etc. ie Emily Strange/edgar allan poe/midnight syndicate/corset shaped business card/alchemy gothic