Friday, February 18, 2011

How Do You Like Your Monsters- Scary, Nerdy, or Sexy?

Monsters used to be nothing but scary. Then in the 1960s the television shows the “The Munsters” and “The Addams Family” showed us a softer side of monsters- loving, friendly, even kind of silly and nerdy. And then "Scooby Doo" made monsters fun for kids along with Count Chocula and Frankenberry.

Monsters starting losing their edge but we seemed to love them even more because of their softer sides.

Now you can find books. Movies and TV shows with monsters of any flavor. Think of the “monsters” in our entertainment today- geeky vampires, dorky werewolves, nerdy witches, even angsty teen Frankenstein’s and of course there are all of the super sexy monsters in our paranormal romance and urban fantasy books.

I’d like to talk about for a minute television show “Being Human”. This is a prime example of monsters being more than just your sexy heartthrobs. I am a fan of the BBC version though I watch both. Mitchell is so much sexier than Aidan. Mitchell embodies the whole dark, sexy, and tortured vampire vibe while Aidan well I don’t know exactly what he’s doing but it’s not working for me- however I totally had to laugh at the ‘vampire with bad credit’ comment in the first episode. It’s the werewolf characters that really show the geeky side of monsters. While George is a mild mannered dorky kind of guy that is lovable in his kookiness Josh is a total spas and painful to watch sometimes. Awkward doesn’t even cut it. Then there’s the neurotic ghost girl- Annie on the BBC version is sweet though slightly neurotic while Sally is well she’s neurotic too.

What do you think of these characters? Do you like your monsters trying to be human (and failing horribly) or do you like the monsters to have it going on and not worry about the trifling stuff we deal with everyday- like fitting in and making friends.

I think how I like my entertainment monsters depends on how well they are written or acted out no matter what personality they have. Some scary monsters have rocked my world, dorky monsters have stolen my heart and nerdy monsters make me want to embrace my inner witch (Willow anyone?), and a dash of humor can be a very good thing if it fits. But if I had to choose just one- I think I’d pick sexy over everything.

Come on, ladies, you know you probably would too. That’s why paranormal romance books fly off the shelves- it’s not because of magic levitation spells it’s because we love our monsters to be sexy, steamy and rippling with muscles and supernatural prowess.

In most of my romance and erotica stories the hero is a “monster” usually a vampire, werewolf or demon and he’s smoking hot. Yes, drop dead gorgeous and to die for sexy. However I sometimes toss in a little humor with the woman- a couple of my heroines are witches and have misfiring magic. Another great source of humor are the side characters- whether they be sidekicks, bestfriends, or a crazy grandma it’s a good thing to throw a little comic relief in once and awhile. At least I know that’s what I like to read so it’s what I try to write.

In An Unexpected Evening Samuel is the epitome of hot, sexy and brooding vampire.

Here's the book description:

Samuel is a centuries-old vampire who prefers to be a recluse. He is always afraid of losing control and becoming the monster he once was. Falling in love with a young witch has pushed his boundaries and pulled him out of his comfort zone.

Katerina always encourages Samuel to be more open, to let loose, and to really "live" instead of only existing in the shadows.

One night, he finally grants her wish . . . in ways she never imagined.

In my newest release Complete Circle Gabriel is different, he's mysterious, sexy, confident and...needy? Judge for yourself.

Here's the book description:

Lissette is a vampire who has lived with her succubus girlfriend, Cassandra, for a long time. She swore off relationships with men after being viciously raped by the vampire hunters who killed the love of her life and left her for dead.

Lissette and Cassandra only use men to get what they need, blood for Lissette and sexual energy for Cassandra. They are completely satisfied with their lives- until a mysterious stranger comes along.

For the first time in centuries, Lissette wants a man.

Why is she so drawn to him? What is he?

Much more than a mere mortal, Gabriel has been searching for Lissette and Cassandra for a very long time. They have what no one else can give him.

But will they be willing?

So tell me- how do you like your monsters? Sexy, Geeky, or Scary? And if you like give me an example of one of your favorite monsters that fit that description.

Leave a comment with an answer to that question and you’ll be entered to win a pdf of each my two newest vampire releases- An Unexpected Evening and Complete Circle


Michele Hauf said...

I do love a geek. A geek monster would be freakin' incredible. ;-)
I adore Mitchell though, on Being Human and he's scary sexy (with a touch of geek).

Roxanne Rhoads said...

Yes Mitchell does have a touch of geek which makes him adorable.

Vamchoir said...

I love my monsters to be scary AND sexy. Vlah-haha! (That is, scary to everybody else BUT me.)

BLHmistress said...

I love my monsters sexy and scary but actually depends on the book and the mood in because I love all sorts.


Anonymous said...

I love scary monsters.

SandyG265 said...

I love Frank Langella's dracula so I'd have to go with sexy. But I also like Scooby Doo cartoons.

Jake said...

Sexy! Definitely sexy! Mick off the cancelled CBS show Moonlight(which you can still sometimes catch on SyFy) is at the top of the sexy monster food chain in my opinion. Alex O'Loughlin is just mad sexy, I'd watch him in anything. Of the series Being Human, I think the BBC version has inspired more loyalty up to this point, but that also could be because it's two seasons in so we've all had time to attach to those characters/actors. I DVR both. I like that there are differences in the shows, it's not like watching a rerun without the accents. (love the accents).

Janet said...

So, since I'm using the family computer to post, I hope this will teach my son not to have google auto-save his info so he can auto-log in. When I posted the last comment, it automatically pulled his identity as the google account to verify, so it says Jake loves sexy monsters. HAHAHA he is 19, but it still looks mighty strange. This one should pull correctly. ;-)

Gabrielle Lee said...

I love my monsters to be scary and sexy. just enough of an edge to be a bad boy.

BADklv said...

I'd love a monster that's sexy and geeky! The best of both worlds...YUMMY!!!!

Crystal ♥ said...

I like my monsters bad-ass-scary and all sexy!


Dana said...

I like for my monsters to be sexy, geeky and scary. I want him to look good (sexy), be extremely smart (geeky)and to be able to take care of us in a dangerous or crisis situation (scary). I like the brothers of the Black Dagger Brotherhood and the Midnight Breed. I would like Edward,from twilight, if he didn't sparkle.

Witchy Woman said...

I like monsters to be Creature from the Black Lagoon scary, but vamps and lycans to be sexy as all get out. Also scary is the inner Dorian Gray type scary.Oddly enough, I don't categorize vamps & lycans as monsters.

Roxanne Rhoads said...

Witchy Woman I do agree with how you feel about vampires and lycans-that they're not really monsters.

We've been desenstized to seeing them as such. Oh but what if we were ever to encounter one in real life? Our opinions may change. LOL.

On another note I think we all have a bit of monster inside- humans can be more monstrous to each other than most of us imagine-all the wars going on are a prome example.

That's probably why we turn to our made up monsters- we can form them to be however we want them to be- scary,s exy,'s up to us.

Roxanne Rhoads said...

prime example- wow my typing skills are terrible lately

Tanya1224 said...

I like sexy monsters, scary when they want to be. I have two on my mind at the moment and they are Dante Baptiste from Adrian Phoenix's, The Maker's Song series and Declan from Shadow of the Vampire. Please count me in this contest. Thanks =)

Vickie said...

Bad can be sexy, nerdy can be hot. Funny is my favorite sexy. Scary is necessary, but I like to see it in mixture with some or all of the above. If that makes sense.....

Meredith said...

Sexy with a bit of scary. Like Eric from the Southern Vampire series.

meredithfl at gmail dot com

Roxanne Rhoads said...

The winner of An Unexpected Evening and Complete Circle is...

Crystal ♥ said...
I like my monsters bad-ass-scary and all sexy!