Friday, March 11, 2011

Review: Etched in Bone by Adrian Phoenix

Book Description:

SON OF A FALLEN ANGEL. FORGED IN VAMPIRE'S BLOOD. SWORN TO A MORTAL WOMAN. IF DANTE FALLS, THE WORLD FALLS WITH HIM. . . .
 
THREE LEGACIES ETCHED IN BONE More beautiful and powerful than any creature the world has ever seen, Dante Baptiste has become the supreme target of the three worlds that spawned him. The mortal agents of the Shadow Branch have tried to control his mind through psychological torture. The vampire elders who guide nightkind society have plotted to use him in their bloodthirsty bid for power. And the Fallen have waited for millennia for Dante to claim his birthright as their Maker. But Dante belongs to no one—except the woman he loves. . . .

ONE PASSION SWORN IN BLOOD Determined to face the Fallen and the world on his own terms, Dante hopes to piece together his shattered past and claim his future, with FBI agent Heather Wallace at his side. But in Heather's human family awaits an unexpected enemy. One who could rip Heather from Dante's heart and fill the holes with bullets. One who could force Dante to choose his darkest destiny—as the Great Destroyer. . . .


Review:

There are not enough words to describe how much I love this series, or just how emotional this series truly is. Each book is better than the last, bringing to light unspeakable events that makes you want to scream and rage, and simply overwhelms you with every emotion imaginable. Nothing is easy or simple in the Nightkind world. Much like the other books, the action and pacing is pretty much non-stop, with government agencies and shadow groups in chase, along with the Fallen, llygad, and Nightkind.

Dante and Heather have such an amazing (and nontraditional) relationship and in Etched in Bone they have achieved such a level of closeness that I can't ever imagine them being apart. When I say nontraditional I mean that what they have crosses over into a area that most people cannot understand. They are so much a part of the other, two incomplete people that have been made whole. Dante himself is a wonder and you can't help being a little in love with him, of wanting to help heal him, or being a teensy bit jealous that Heather has completely captured his heart. The fact that he has survived all the terrible things done to him, while still remaining capable of feeling and giving love is amazing. He is the personification of stubbornness, loyalty and strength while at the same time having a frailty that isn't often seen in a paranormal hero.

The secondary cast is awesome and it's a toss up as to who I like more, Von or Lucien. And sometimes I even think I might like Annie. She has a pretty surprising story this time around and I'm curious how she'll handle things. Annie is so damaged but I'd like to see her get it together, maybe sing again. I like that the characters in this series are flawed- gives them depth and range. Or maybe I just like twisted people better.


My lack of descriptive words continued as I neared the end of this book and I can't describe how I felt as I turned that final page. Panic? Fear? Confusion? Anger? That FUBAR sundae quote I liked so much seems quite fitting. What's going to happen now? Is this going to be what finally breaks Dante? And more importantly...When is the next book?

Quotes~

"Swallow, darlin'," Von repeated. "And I totally mean that in a non-dirty way." ~ Von

"That'd definitely be a FUBAR cherry on top of the tasty FUBAR sundae this mission just became." ~ Stevenson

"Well, hell. I was gonna drink that."
"Not anymore," Silver commented. "But if you strip off your jeans and table-dance in your undies while screaming 'you can't touch me, motherfucker' like Annie, I'll get you another bottle." ~ Von and Silver

Other books in the series:

A Rush of Wings: Book One of The Maker's Song
In the Blood: Book Two of the Maker's Song
Beneath the Skin: Book Three of The Maker's Song

*This book was sent by the publisher for review purposes.
*Reviewed by Anna Dougherty for VampChix

2 comments:

Rain Maiden said...

This looks awesome!

Cylver said...

I just finished reading Etched in Bone, and it is everything you said. The love Dante and Heather have for one another is nothing short of amazing, as is their fierce (and I do mean fierce!) loyalty.
Like you, as I read the final page, I was ready to scream with frustration! Can't wait to have #5 in my hands...