Monday, May 9, 2011

Guest: Caris Roane

Please welcome back the luverly Caris Roane to our humble blog.  She's got a new book out in the Guardians of Ascension series that I know you will all want to add to your wish lists!  Gorgeous covers, yes?  And if you answer the question at the end of this post, you'll be entered to win the set of ASCENSION and BURNING SKIES!  [Winners announced Thursday.]
Caris Roane has published over fifty Regency romance novels and novellas under the pen name, Valerie King.  In 2005, Romantic Times gave her a Career Achievement award in Regency Romance.  Having had a long-time love affair with vampires, Caris tackled the paranormal genre, building a world based on ascending dimensional earths.  The first novel of the series, Ascension, was released December 28, 2010.  Burning Skies, the second book in the series, hits the shelves in May of 2011.  And the third novel, Wings of Fire, is a September release.

Caris lives in Buckeye, Arizona with her two cats, Sebastien and Gizzy.

            BURNING SKIES is the second book in my GUARDIANS OF ASCENSION series.  I fell in love with the warrior vampire archetype and created a whole world in which these hunky winged vampires could battle their enemy—the infamous death vampires—with swords, daggers and the occasional firearm.  So this really is a series about good versus evil, with a lot of the superficial elements reversed:  the good guys are profane, the bad guys often speak like gentlemen, the good guys are rough-and-tumble looking, the bad guys are simply beautiful.
            In BURNING SKIES, warrior Marcus returns from self-exile on Second Earth to protect the lovely Havily Morgan.  Havily has emerging powers and has become the object of enemy interest.  So much so that a recently turned vampire, who now drinks dying blood, has decided she would make a favorite pet, especially since her blood apes the addictive elements in dying blood.  If he keeps her chained up, he could keep a supply of her powerful blood close at hand indefinitely.
            Marcus is a very old vampire with issues…of course!  Should he return to Second Earth to serve as Havily’s Guardian of Ascension or should he remain on Mortal Earth and continue to build his financial empire?  But vampire mate-bonding has him by the…well, in a very strong grip and ultimately he must choose for Havily, but that doesn’t mean he has to like it!
            Their relationship heats up, the enemy attacks again and again, and all this proximity results in fireworks!  The ongoing war keeps the pressure on everyone so that overall the series is very intense.
             Many of my readers have commented on my Facebook page and on my website blog about the infamous Endelle and I’d like to give her a shout-out here.  She’s everything I would want to be if only I could get away with it!  She has a sailor’s mouth, doesn’t give a rat’s behind what anyone says about her, and has the fashion sense of chimpanzee…oh, wait, maybe that’s insulting the chimpanzee!  But she’s a total blast to write!  As the Supreme High Administrator of Second Earth, she has the last say in everything.
            I’ll be giving away a signed copy of the first book in the series, ASCENSION, as well as a signed copy of BURNING SKIES.

            But here’s a question I’d love to see a few outrageous answers to.  I have really enjoyed enhancing the vampire mate-bonding ritual, which I totally think reflects our mortal experience of falling in love, just super exaggerated!  So, if you could add something to the ritual beyond the sharing of blood, what would you add?  I’m hoping to take this series to the Third Dimension at some point and I’ll need to have some new ideas for the mate-bonding concept.  Got any ideas for me???  So curious to hear your thoughts…
            Also, I’ll be checking in about 8:00am Pacific time on the day of this post and I’ll be with you off-and-on all day, so feel free to ask me anything about my GUARDIAN OF ASCENSION series! 

Blessings, Caris

Click here to read a Burning Skies excerpt
Visit Caris at her Facebook page!


Cath said...

Sadly, I haven't read these books yet but my oh my you've been blessed by the cover fairy and as I am a self professed cover whore I will have to get these books for their pretty hotness alone!!!!

"""So, if you could add something to the ritual beyond the sharing of blood, what would you add?"""
Perhaps they could drink purely ORGASMIC blood ie in the throws of passion? I said I haven't read these books and so I'm not sure what is or isn't already in there.

Will add these to my tbr pile for sure:)
Thanks for the great interview and giveaway:)


Ren said...

Hi Caris!
Thanks for stopping by :)
Unfortunately I'm not read your books yet, but I'd put it in my wishlist.

For your question, about ritual of vampire mate, how about "Mark"? So after they drink blood , there's a "mark" will be appear in their body. Like tattoo, maybe? It can appear at their neck, or their other body part That tattoo can show the world that they belong to each other :)

Thanks for the giveaway

sawamura_foxman AT yahoo DOT com

Caris said...

Hi, Everyone!
Caris Roane here. Thank you, Michele, so much for having me today. Vamps...AWESOME! What's not to love?!?
I'll be checking in throughout the day and responding to all the comments. And please, no matter how outrageous your thoughts, POST THEM! That's when life gets fun!


Caris said...

Hi, Cath,
The covers, right? St. Martin's has the best art department in the world! And they keep getting better. Go to my website,, and take a look at the next two because, believe it or not, THEY'RE EVEN BETTER! The fourth cover made me weep it was so evocative (BORN OF ASHES).
And I LOVED the orgasmic concept...oooh, that's something to think about! Great imagination!


Caris said...

I think a mark somewhere on the body is a great idea! I can see how it would work...a telltale sign that somethin's been goin' on! It could have different meanings as well...sometimes good, sometimes bad!

Lovin' it,

Ren said...

Caris, glad you love it

Another idea for "Mark" thing. I see your vampire have a wing (wow, it will cool to have wing! :D), how about after the mating, there will be an unique pattern at your hero wing that matched with the sign at his woman's body?
I think it will be unique ^_^


Caris said...

A shared mark near the wings! Love it! That is very Third Earth! Are you a writer as well?!? You seem to have the imagination for it...just sayin'!

As for the wings, my favorite dreams are the flying dreams, so of course I had to have my characters fly!

It's so awesome to write those scenes and to imagine what it would feel like. We have canyon country in Arizona where I'm from, and in more than one scene I've taken my winged vampires flying through the canyons. What a thrill that would be!


booklover0226 said...

Hi, Caris.

I'm not very creative (that's why I'm a reader, not a writer!) Anyway, to answer your question, how a mingling or partial exchanging of the souls?

I look forward inr eading this series.

Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Ren said...

LOL, no, I'm just an avid reader :D, but my mind can't stop imagining anything. I think it will be beautiful to see the hero's wing with pattern , and it can show his love to his mate, because the shared mark,right?

I love when characters can fly, they're seems to be free. And I can see how awesome your character to flying above those canyon. Just.. wow!!

I love the cover of your book, especially Burning Skies, it's my favorite. But when I see your 4th book's cover, Born of Ashes (beautiful!:D), I think all winged vampire are men, are there woman too? How winged vampire woman can deal with the bonding mate?


Caris said...

How can you say you're not creative??? You got me with your 'mingling of souls' comment. Wow...okay...that's real Third Dimension stuff! My mind is sparking with ideas.!


Caris said...

This is such a good question! In my series, Second Earth is the world of the vampire and ALL vampires have wings, both men and women. They come in all shapes and colors and sizes EXCEPT the infamous death vampires...their wings are glossy black, huge and sooo beautiful.
Also, the wings emerge from the back and retreat into the back...I know, I know, but it's the miracle of the written word that creates the phenomenon. I call it 'mounting the wings' and it's an incredibly sensual experience. A vampire has winglocks in a V down the back, which are very sensitive to touch...of any kind... So, I'll let your imagination rest on that for a moment. I think you might enjoy this series.


Caris said...

And one final thought,
I want to thank Michele for having me today! It was really fun hearing your ideas about possibilities for vampire mate-bonding!

Hope you enjoy my Guardians of Ascension series!

Many, many blessings,

Paranormal Haven said...

I haven't had a chance to pick up your books but they sound great. I know this has been done before but I like the idea of there being some type of a mark after a vampire couple has been mated. Something that is unique to just them.

Stephanie G

Jo's Daughter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.