Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Review: EVOLVE TWO: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead

EVOLVE TWO: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead.  This anthology of vampires of the future is even better than the first, EVOLVE, both edited by Nancy Kilpatrick.  With a breath-taking range of stories, from the fantastic horrors of David Tocher, to the gorgeously crisp linguistics of Steve Vernon, and the luscious macabre dreams of Tanith Lee, this collection is not to be missed.

Blurb:  Meet the eternal predator that humanity never ceases to find both fascinating and terrifying. Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead moves this creature beyond 2012, through this century and into the next. We humans will evolve, but so will they! Whatever apocalyptic events that lie ahead for our species, for the planet, vampires will be there too, helping or hindering, effecting or infecting us. Time is on their side, but it may not be on ours.
 
Featured authors include: Tanith Lee, Kelley Armstrong, John Shirley, Thomas Roche, Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Heather Clitheroe, Erika Holt, Ivan Dorin, Michael Lorenson, Jason Ridler, David Beynon, Eileen Bell, Peter Sellers, Sandra Wickham, William Meikle, David Tocher, Leanne Tremblay, Ryan McFadden, Steve Vernon, Bev Vincent, Anne Mok, and Sandra Kasturi.

I liked the majority of the stories in this antho.  A few I passed over because I sensed they were too dark, because that's just not my kind of read.  Divided into three themes of Pre-Apocalypse, Post-Apocalypse, and New World Order, the antho features humans fighting against vampires, oppressed vamps, kind vamps, vicious vamps, blood, guts, life, death, pain, and joy —it's all packed into this stunningly well-written collection.
Tanith Lee's "Beyond The Sun" is a beautiful dream of vampires in space.  Eileen Bell's "V-Link" is about networked vampires fighting for control, and well worth paging through to read first.  For an intriguing look at jury duty in the world of vampires, check Michael Lorenson's "Six Underground".  Was she or wasn't she a vampire when murdered?  And should it matter?   "Toothless" by Peter Sellers, offers hard-boiled crime fiction, tracking stolen fangs for the ultimate high—sun.   "Symbiosis" by David Brynan is a quiet tale of politeness and dispair. Many others will grab your by the throat and keep you turning the pages until you find you've come to the end.  When is Evolve Three coming out?  I think I'm addicted to these anthologies!

Too win the review copy of this book, leave a comment below.  Do you like anthologies?  Do you generally buy them for one particular author, or more for the theme of the stories?  Do you read all the stories in the book?

5 comments:

SandyG265 said...

I like to read anthologies as a way to discover new authors. But I will also buy a book of short stories by one author if it's an author I like.

I generaly read all of the stories unless there is one that I really can't get into.

sgiden at verizon.net

Nerine Dorman said...

I usually buy an anthology if there are one or two authors I like... and the rest is part of the theme to introduce me to others I may like as much.

Stephanie said...

Nancy Kilpatrick has excellent taste, and I would read anything she or Ellen Datlow recommended. I like to read all of the stories in an anthology, although sometimes I wonder why certain stories got chosen because they don't seem to fit the overall theme or quality. The best part about anthos is it gives new writers a chance to be heard.

Michele Hauf said...

Stephanie, all the stories in this one all fit well into the three themes I mentioned, being Pre and Post Apocalypse and New World Order (which is space vamps, basically).

Diana said...

I read Evolve Two as soon as it came out and the stories blew me away! Each one is so exceptional that when one ends you're eager to begin the next story. I read the book straight through, from cover to cover. Quality writing from authors who really know their craft. I highly recommend Evolve Two!