Monday, October 31, 2011

Guest: Kristen Painter

VampChix is thrilled to host Kristen Painter today, whose new vampire series The House of Comarre, debuts with BLOOD RIGHTS.  FLESH AND BLOOD follows close behind in November, and it's a December release for the third in the series, BAD BLOOD.  Don't you love it when publishers put series books out back to back?  Let us know if you like your series books that way, or if you don't mind waiting longer, sometimes more than a year for the next book in the series, in the comments!  And let Kristen know what it is about vampires that keeps you reading.  One lucky commenter will receive a copy of BLOOD RIGHTS from Kristen.  [US only for the contest.]


The Lure of Vampires
By Kristen Painter
Much has been written about vampires and their enduring appeal, so I don’t think anyone’s questioning that. In fact, as a culture, we’re no different in our love of the creatures than those before us. Whether it be Stoker’s dark count, Rice’s rock stars or Harris’s Southern fried fangers, vampires in literature have survived – and thrived – through the ages as befitting their immortal status.
But why are female readers so drawn to them? I have my own theories about these undead bad boys. I think much of the vampire hero’s allure lies in his excusable darkness. A bad boy without a great reason to be bad is just a jerk. A vampire, on the other hand, has a built-in reason to be dark, moody and dangerous. Depending on what series you’re reading, he might have been born bad, cursed into being bad, turned bad by a bite or infected with badness via some kind of parasite/host.
Either way, it’s not his fault. And that makes him easier to love.
His brokenness also provides a degree of fascination. Women love a challenge and the challenge of fixing a wounded hero is one many heroines have accepted. Of course, fixing a broken man is much easier accomplished in fiction than in real life, but perhaps that’s part of the appeal too? Fiction is an escape for many and doing the (often) impossible can be a real thrill. What woman can’t understand the draw of taming a man no other woman has? Of being the one woman who can soothe the tortured hero? Beauty and the Beast, anyone? This fantasy is an old and dear one.
Lastly, there is the appeal of a vampire’s worldliness. Their age gives them an edge no mortal man could ever have. Not only do they understand how the world works, but they understand it in a way that allows them to manipulate it for their own benefit. And unlike the average mortal man, they often understand women. How to talk to them, how to romance them, how to appreciate them. That quality alone is probably enough for most female readers, but combine that with a vampire’s other attributes and it’s no wonder they’ve headlined in some of our favorite books, tv shows and movies as the years have gone by.
No matter how you feel about the creatures, vampires are here to stay. What is it about vampires that makes you keep reading?

16 comments:

SandyG265 said...

I actually like when a series is spaced out because it gives me something to look foward to.

Kristen Painter said...

Thanks for having me today, Michele!

amy kennedy said...

Hi Kristen, Hey Michele!
Oooh, love "his brokeness" -- that sums it up doesn't it? We women do love to fix things, but if a bad boy can't be fixed -- then it's not our failure...it just is. And it's "okay" to keep loving him.

Plus, sheesh, those dangerous fangs...

amy kennedy said...

Oh, and I like my series both ways -- back to back and waiting for it.

Michele Hauf said...

Does anyone else think they put Kristen on the Flesh and Blood cover? Looks awesome!

Rain Maiden said...

I love that humans are prey to vampires. I think that's why I love reading a good vampire story. Thanks for the giveaway.

Jnmt3@hotmail.com

Kristen Painter said...

Amy - it's very true!

Michele - I promise that's not me. lol

Rain Maiden - It's fun to write a series where the vampires are both good and bad.

December said...

I love the Danger v control of vampires... they could eat you up in the blink of an eye, but they have to be tightly controlled to let you live. Delicious, how far can that control be pushed?

kate Pearce said...

I love the idea that the Vampire has been around for a very long time and that he finally meets 'the one'-that is just romantic. And I love all the dark angst of course. :)
I've read the first book in this series and it is awesome btw.

angel said...

No matter how you feel about the creatures, vampires are here to stay. What is it about vampires that makes you keep reading?

I honestly don't know. There is something about the vampires my husband writes, that I just really like. They are vampires, they need the blood, but they still retain at least a small part of their humanity.

As to other vampires, I don't know. Maybe like Kate Pearce, it's the Dark Angst.

Cynthia Justlin said...

Give me angsty, tortured characters and I'm there. I think that's the allure of vampires--if anyone feels angsty it should be them, right? LOL.

Elise Hepner said...

I just like the history of every vampire, they might as well be walking textbooks through all the memories and things they've seen. I'm drawn to vampire books because each vampire has their own story that cracks open a new theory on history.

Lyric James said...

Oh...I wish ALL series would come out back to back. I hate waiting a year. BUT...that doesn't stop me from buying/loving them.

Vampires can be such tortured souls sometimes and we women love to fix a broken man and make him all our own. :-)

Kristen Painter said...

December - I love that too!

Kate - That is romantic. Thanks for liking the first book!

Angel - My vampires all retain a portion of their humanity too, some just have smaller portions than others.

Cynthia - Definitely!

Elise - That's a great point. They have so much backstory!

Lyric - Torture makes for a great hero, doesn't it?

Anna (Bite Club) said...

I actually just bought this book last week, and broke my self imposed restriction on new books, because the cover was so lovely. I'm crossing my fingers that I get to start reading it soon.

My thoughts are mixed on back to back release dates, and it all depends on how involved I am with the book. I usually like the 6 month timeframe best because it keeps the anticipation up without making me impatient or frustrated.

donnas said...

I am really looking forward to this series. Vampires are great because there is really so much that can be done with their stories and histories so it doesnt feel like we are reading the same thing rehashed over and over again.