Monday, March 19, 2012

Early Review: Wicked as they Come by Delilah S. Dawson

Have you ever heard of a Bludman? They’re rather like you and me—only more fabulous, immortal, and mostly indestructible. (They’re also very good kissers.)
Delilah S. Dawson’s darkly tempting debut drops her unsuspecting heroine into a strange faraway land for a romantic adventure that’s part paranormal, part steampunk . . . and completely irresistible.

When Tish Everett forces open the ruby locket she finds at an estate sale, she has no idea that a deliciously rakish Bludman has cast a spell just for her. She wakes up in a surreal world, where Criminy Stain, the dashing proprietor of a magical traveling circus, curiously awaits. At Criminy’s electric touch, Tish glimpses a tantalizing future, but she also foresees her ultimate doom. Before she can decide whether to risk her fate with the charming daredevil, the locket disappears, and with it, her only chance to return home. Tish and Criminy battle roaring sea monsters and thundering bludmares, vengeful ghosts and crooked Coppers in a treacherous race to recover the necklace from the evil Blud-hating Magistrate. But if they succeed, will Tish forsake her fanged suitor and return to her normal life, or will she take a chance on an unpredictable but dangerous destiny with the Bludman she’s coming to love?


Welcome to Sang, a more deceptive place you'll never know, nothing is as it seems, not even the cute little bludbunnies. They'll tear you apart! Meet Criminy Stain, master of a traveling gypsy caravan, talented magician and lifeline to many, including Tish, a Stranger brought through time into another world. In Sang, Tish is a glancer that can see the fortune of everyone she touches, a valuable skill to be sure. Together, as they embark on a journey to save both worlds, the stakes have never been greater and Tish must choose which life she keeps.

When you really love a book it makes a review almost impossible to write because at some point the gushing becomes insincere, and that is the last thing I'd want to happen with this book. I enjoyed every page of this book, and if I had to find a criticism at all it would be that I have to wait so long until the next book. Seriously, I had so much fun with this book. The caravan led by Stain is a combination of the caravan in The Last Unicorn and Cirque Du Freak, with a cast of characters as imaginative as any found in Alice in Wonderland. I would love if Tim Burton made this into a movie, dark like Sweeny Todd and bizarre like his version of Alice. Never a straight answer to be had and it took a fair amount of reading time before I understood what was going on, if I ever did at all. Not that I minded one bit because this was by far one of the most inventive, creative stories I have read in a very long time.

I can't share details of the plot without spoiling important aspects of the story, but I think you'll thank me for letting the discovery be yours. Plenty of betrayal and intrigue, a steampunk setting, plot twists aplenty, and a romantic triangle that makes it difficult to choose sides, almost. Vivid imagery brings a world which you can only imagine in your dreams to life, with characters that are as fascinating as they are unique. This is the first book of 2012 to really capture my imagination and keep me reading far into the night. A superb debut!

Release day is listed as March 27th!!

I did have trouble locating a website with current information and links so I am just linking to the Simon and Schuster page:

Update: Find Delilah's website here!


Michele Hauf said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked this book because now I must read it. Been wanting to read it just because of the fab cover, but now have more reason!

Abby said...

So glad you liked it! (I'm Delilah's editor.) For your readers who want to check out Delilah's website, she can be found at (It's that "s" that's tricky.) Criminy is waiting for you!

Michele Hauf said...

so glad you posted, Abby! We were hoping to contact Delilah to be a guest but found the website without the 's' so weren't sure how to contact her!