Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Guest - Elisabeth Staab

Hey, all!  Getting a bit of a late start with the post this morning.  Blame it on the holiday (hey, that's the excuse I'm using, even though this particular holiday doesn't really kick in until the evening.)  Please welcome Elisabeth Staab, whose latest is KING OF DARKNESS.  She has an ARC of the book for one lucky commenter, so show her some love in the comments and tell us what you love about paranormal romance!


The Fairy Tale, All Grown Up
What was your favorite thing to pretend, as a child? Did play house? Dress-up? Did you have a favorite fairy tale? Was there a particular story that you loved?
I really adored Beauty and the Beast. It was the most markedly different for me among Grimm’s fairy tales—and okay, the Disney princess movies—in the way that beast was portrayed as something both monster and human at the same time. The beast is aware of his scary, feral nature and wants to be different.
Beauty falls in love with him all the same.
Story is essential to life. As kids, we learn through play. Through make-believe. Through fantasy. We escape into things like fairy tales as an elemental part of shaping who we are and learning about ourselves when we are young.
So let’s fast forward a little, to when we’re old enough to realize that those creatures can have desires, huh? For me the turning point was when Michael and Star first kiss in the Lost Boys. I was young, I was impressionable, I was stunned… Wow. Vampires as sensual creatures and not horror monsters? *headscratch*
So for me, writing paranormal romance, it’s the fairy tale with its new big boy shorts on. And hell, is it ever sexy. Just like when I was a kid, I can escape into a world of make believe. Only this time—this time, maybe when I’m getting my gas at the Shell station on Route 10, the burly guy wearing a leather jacket across the way is a vampire gassing up his shiny black SUV so he can go rid the world of evil bad guys who are killing his kind.
Maybe he’s lethal and predatory. Maybe like Thad, my vampire king in King of Darkness, he’s tortured but he really just needs the right mate to tame him. *shiver*
There’s a whole lot of dark and ugly stuff out there in the world. Romance, and its associated requisite happily ever after, gives us grown-ups with our grown-up problems a safe place to escape. But this time it can be darker, steamier, and fraught with entirely new levels of angst.
Alls I know is, I have loved to read my entire life, but I wasn’t gripped by the intense urge to write until I discovered paranormal romance. That escape, that “otherness” of building a different world I could escape into. The fairy tale all grown up.
What do you love about paranormal romance?

KING OF  DARKNESS BY ELISABETH STAAB – AVAILABLE NOW

ETERNAL COMMITMENT IS NOT ON HER AGENDA...
Scorned by the vampire community for her lack of power, Isabel Anthony lives a carefree existence masquerading as human—although drifting through the debauched human nightlife, she prefers the patrons' blood to other indulgences. But when she meets the sexy, arrogant king of the vampires, this party-girl's life turns dark and dangerous.

BUT TIME'S RUNNING OUT FOR THE KING OF THE VAMPIRES...
Dead-set on finding the prophesied mate who will unlock his fiery powers, Thad Morgan must find his queen before their race is destroyed. Their enemies are gaining ground, and Thad needs his powers to unite his subjects. But when his search leads him to the defiant Isabel, he wonders if fate had gotten it seriously wrong...

Elisabeth Staab still lives with her nose in a book and at least one foot in a fantasy world. Her bestselling paranormal romance novel, King of Darkness, is available now. Her second book, Prince of Power, releases in January. Find an excerpt, free reads and more at ElisabethStaab.com

16 comments:

miki said...

What i love about Paranormal romance is that even if they are different (vampire , werewolves etc it must bne difficult in one aspect or another) they manage to overcome the obstacles and fall in love and if they can, we can too

all the best

isabelle(dot)frisch(at)gmail(dot)com

SandyG265 said...

I like paranormal romance as a break from everyday life.

sgiden at verizon.net

Michelle said...

I was always pretending to be a witch like Mildred Hubble in The Worst Witch or acting out the Little Princess :)

I love Paranormal romance because absolutely anything can happen, if you dream it, it can happen. Who wouldn't love a world full of endless possibilities.

mmcmichael79(at)googlemail(dot)com

Longleggzz said...

I love reading paranormal because it lets me escape my real life. I get to live vicariously through amazing characters that i could only wish to be in real life. With men I could never have but have AMAZING dreams of. Also, I can imagine myself having powers I only wish I had to help me get through the day with.

Elisabeth Staab said...

I love all of these answers, guys! Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out King of Darkness!

Barbara E. said...

I love all of the different supernatural characters, both heroes and villains. It's so different than my every day life and it's a great way to escape into another world.

Barbed1951 at aol dot com

molly.frenzel said...

What I love about paranormal romance is that its an escape from normal, everyday life into a world that's like ours, but way more interesting. Every time I open a new book, the thought that life would be so much more interesting with vampires, shifters, etc., always rolls through my mind.

molly(dot)frenzel(at)gmail(dot)com

Elisabeth Staab said...

Yes! Totally with you guys I love the escape and the new/different worlds! And the forbidden fantasy element. Oh, oh, and the growling! It's all good... Thanks so much for stopping by!

missyj6342 said...

Paranormal really helped me overcome my depression when my mom past away. It was a way to calm my thoughts and escape realty of the day to day. I have always loved paranormal but the reading catches my full attention and ease my mind. Happy Independence day everyone! And thank you for the opportunity.
Missyj6342@gmail.com

missyj6342 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
missyj6342 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
missyj6342 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
missyj6342 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bn100 said...

I like the stories and the different creatures like vampires and werewolves.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Elisabeth Staab said...

Missy, I'm so sorry about your mom but Im glad that you have found an outlet. I found paranormal romance was a great relief from the stresses of new parenthood, too, after my second child was born and I was so overwhelmed. *hugs*

bn, you can't go wrong with vampires and werewolves. :)

lindsey hutchison @ United By Books said...

whats not to love.....i love the strong alpha males in each paranormal creature. i used to be way contemporary romance all the way total Harlequin girl then by chance my mom bought me some books and they were paranormal saying you need to change up and these sounded good. It was with a vampire .... part of The Other Series by Christine Warren i then wound up going on amazon and ordering a bunch from all different authors and it never gets old to me

babydoll82959307(at)aol(dot)com