Sunday, July 22, 2012

Quickie Review and Contest: THE JANUS AFFAIR by Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris

A touch of steampunk for our paranormal fans today.  This book, THE JANUS AFFAIR: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences novel, is the second in what I hope will become a long-lived series.  It features agents Books (the studious, play-by-the rules archivist) and Braun, the devil-may-care guns-at-the-ready woman who I'm constantly cheering for.  The relationship between the twosome is gradually growing stronger as this story begins, and the reader will hope for it to become so much more.  (But do take their time.  That's the pleasure of reading a long series, in watching the characters grow.)
Set in London, the agents set on a case of disappearing women on behalf of The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences.  I'm not going to detail the plot—you can get that info from the book blurb.  I only want to mention that the series is well worth the read, but I would suggest getting the first book, Phoenix Rising, so you're up to speed on the main characters.  Those who enjoy steampunk and its mechanical machines and devices and weapons will love this read.

Blurb: Evildoers beware! Retribution is at hand, thanks to Britain's best-kept secret agents!!
Certainly no strangers to peculiar occurrences, agents Wellington Books and Eliza Braun are nonetheless stunned to observe a fellow passenger aboard Britain's latest hypersteam train suddenly vanish in a dazzling bolt of lightning. They soon discover this is not the only such disappearance . . . with each case going inexplicably unexamined by the Crown.
The fate of England is once again in the hands of an ingenious archivist paired with a beautiful, fearless lady of adventure. And though their foe be fiendishly clever, so then is Mr. Books . . . and Miss Braun still has a number of useful and unusual devices hidden beneath her petticoats.

VampChix is giving away the review copy of this book!  Please leave a comment below to be entered to win.

7 comments:

Barbara E. said...

I have this book on my wish list, and the first book, Phoenix Rising on my TBR pile. I'm looking forward to reading both of them.

Barbed1951 at aol dot com

mariska said...

i've been eyeing this book in another blog, hope i can win this time *fingerscrossed*

uniquas at ymail dot com

lavendersbluegreen said...

Looks interesting... need to add to TBR list...
- lavendersbluegreen(at)yahoo(dot)com

Zita said...

Sounds very interesting. I've added it to my wish list in case I don't win :-)

SandyG265 said...

I have then first book and am looking forward to reading this one

Rain Maiden said...

I have Phoenix Rising on my TBR pile. I enjoy steampunk and heard awesome things on this series. Thanks for the giveaway.

Lil said...

I read the first book in this series and so enjoyed it! Books could be a surprise and the reversed expectations of Books and Braun made for a fun fresh read.

little lamb lst at yahoo dot com