Monday, July 9, 2012

Review: This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

It’s the end of the world. Six students have taken cover in Cortege High but shelter is little comfort when the dead outside won’t stop pounding on the doors. One bite is all it takes to kill a person and bring them back as a monstrous version of their former self. To Sloane Price, that doesn’t sound so bad. Six months ago, her world collapsed and since then, she’s failed to find a reason to keep going. Now seems like the perfect time to give up.

As Sloane eagerly waits for the barricades to fall, she’s forced to witness the apocalypse through the eyes of five people who actually want to live. But as the days crawl by, everyone’s motivations to survive begin to change in startling ways and soon the group’s fate is determined less and less by what’s happening outside and more and more by the unpredictable and violent bids for life–and death–inside. When everything is gone, what do you hold on to?

Jenny's review:
 
Nothing is worse than being beaten by your father and living in fear.  Nothing that is unless you are abandoned by your sister with your father who beats you.  Feeling desperate and alone Sloane hates her life and just wants it to end. Little does she know that it just might. The people in her town are being infected by the dead and the dead are in charge. Sloane and six other teens from her high school are all together hiding out in their high school and trying to figure out how to survive and to hide from the zombies knocking on the door. When their security is breeched and they have not idea how, things start to happen, how to protect themselves, who knows. The voice on the radio tells them to escape to a safe community, but will they all make it there alive? Can Sloane put her past behind her and face the new scary reality in front of her?
 
This was a creepy book! But in a good way. I have never read a zombie book before and this one was creepy!! I liked how the back story of the teens played into the survival mode that they were in. I kept thinking how horrible it would be if it really happened! I liked how there was a ton of suspense and action. Perfect high school read, minor language usage, but in this case I think appropriate because if it was the end of the world I might use some bad language too!! And the end kinda leaves you hanging, so you get to make up your own idea of what might happen in the future!
 
Anna's thoughts: 
 
I'm not the biggest YA reader on the planet, but I enjoyed the voice of this new-to-me author so much that I have added her other titles to my list.  If you know me at all, and some of you do, then you know that I had to put all zombie books and TV shows (bye-bye Walking Dead) on hiatus awhile back because of horrific nightmares caused by my over active imagination and superb storytelling. However, I had heard really cool things about This Is Not a Test and eventually my curiosity got the better of me...I'm glad for it because Courtney Summers spins a creepy, suspenseful yarn. Give this one a try!
 
Author website:
 

*This book was sent via the publisher for review.

1 comment:

Rain Maiden said...

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the review guys, I look forward to this one.