Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Guest post and contest with Annie Cole

~Please welcome Annie Cole to our lovely little bat cave this morning. She's here with us today to give us a little insight into how her first book, Guardians of Atlantis, was put into publication. I love hearing about an authors journey and I appreciate the openness that was shared within this post. 

To start your work week off with a bang we have one signed copy of Guardians of Atlantis to give away, courtesy of the author, and all you have to do is leave a comment about a song that's motivated you...or just leave a nice hello:) Please leave an email so I can get in touch should you win. I will draw a winner next week!

Running Down a Dream
By Annie Rachel Cole, Guest Blogger and New Author

On the way to work the other day, the radio played Tom Petty's “Runnin' Down a Dream” and it struck me how close to home the song really hits.
In the chorus, Tom sings,

      Yeah, runnin' down a dream
      That never would come to me
      Workin' on a mystery, goin' wherever it leads
      Runnin' down a dream.

For most of us, becoming a published author is the dream we're chasing. We spend years writing and honing our craft. We take classes and talk to published authors and aspiring authors. We read everything we can get our hands on, filling our heads with every tip and awe inspiring story.
And we finish our master piece. It's got a tight plot. The characters are alive with emotion and beautifully written dialogue. The manuscript's been carefully combed through. It's perfect.

And the queries start.

And we wait and wait.

We become experts at collecting rejections. We question--Is it them? Is it me? Am I not good enough?
At this points some push the dream aside and move on to other things, but some of us keep chasing it. We realize, that yes, sometimes it is just us and our writing, so we explore, learn and grow. And sometimes we learn it isn't us, but instead it is the agents, the publishers, or the market.

We keep chasing the dream. Guardian of Atlantis, the first book in my Children of Atlantis series, is my dream. I cried when I held the first copy of the book. But like many, the journey wasn't easy. The idea for the story came to me a little over three years ago. I played with it. Twisted it. I had a story forming in my head. I started putting it down on paper.

Then one day, my husband had a heart attack. The next few months were crazy. My escape was the story. I finished it and put it aside. As the craziness calmed and my husband and I learned not to put things off until tomorrow because you might not get tomorrow, I pulled out the manuscript and read it.


What was I thinking?

The plot had holes big enough to fly the space shuttle through. The idea was there, but the story I wrote was horrible!

For the next two years I learned everything I could about plotting. I figured out what worked for me, cut away 90% of the manuscript and rewrote it. I read it again, re-evaluated my plot, cut about 10% and rewrote again.

I queried, read about the changes in the industry, the successes and failures for both traditional and indie authors, and stumbled upon Joe Konrath's blog, A Newbie's Guide to Publishing. After weighing the pros and cons, I made the decision to self-publish. And it's been a learning experience, but that's a topic for another day.

My dream is here. I caught it, but in many ways it is very surreal. I hope I don't wake up.

Back Cover Blurb:
Sixteen-year-old Raven Weir has a somewhat normal life until she receives a mysterious necklace…a necklace others are willing to kill her to get because it contains the key codes to Atlantis. Now she finds she's the only one standing between Atlantis and those who want to use the power hidden there to take over the world.

And Zeus is at the head of that line.

On top of worrying about social acceptance at school, Raven has to get control of her growing powers before she harms someone. And it doesn't help that the alpha Hellhound at school is attracted to her while members of his pack are trying to kill her. And then there's the whole biological parent issue. Finding out you're adopted is huge, but discovering you're actually the daughter of Medusa and Poseidon will definitely cause problems.

Will Raven find the inner strength she needs to survive?

Will she be able to protect Atlantis?

Guardian of Atlantis is available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
Ebook is $2.99
Paperback is $9.99 

Author blog:


bn100 said...

Congratulations on the book! Thanks for sharing your story.


Annie Rachel Cole said...

Thank you!