Thursday, December 6, 2012

Movie Quotes and other randomness

So I finally got a chance to watch Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and thought it might be fun to resurrect an old feature we used to have here at VampChix where we post our favorite lines from paranormal movies. I've been making a list of possible contenders too: ParaNorman, Hotel Transylvania, Priest, all the SuperHero movies (because I love them all), Cowboys and Aliens, Twilight films (if I ever decide to watch them), Woman in Black, Hansel and Gretel, The Raven, Dark Shadows, World War Z, and so many others. I love movies and spend my free time watching TCM or watching the latest movies on DVD. I'm hoping to bring this back as a weekly feature and I would love to hear from you about movie recommendations or even to share your thoughts about movies I've selected for the post.


My thoughts:

At first it was hard to imagine Lincoln as a vampire hunter, but it only took a few minutes for me to really appreciate how they changed up historical events as we know them. In fact, I enjoyed the mix of fact and fiction, and felt like it was absolutely plausible for vampires to have been behind such a heinous event as The Civil War. These are not romantic vampires, although the humans in their thrall might beg to differ, instead we are given blood, horror, manipulation and control. Vampires are once again evil, and they plan to crush and enslave the human race. I wished for more vampire scenes, but that's just me, and at times it seemed like the movie was aiming for that Van Helsing vibe without quite making it. Overall, an enjoyable movie that I was able to watch with my teenager.

Quotes:

Lincoln~History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle, but forgets the blood. However history remembers me before I was a President, it shall only remember a fraction of the truth... 


Henry Sturgess~A man only drinks like that when he's planning to kiss a girl or kill a man. Which is it? 


Mary Todd Lincoln~Well, I wouldn't back away from what's right just because it's hard. My father used to say: plant your feet and stand firm. The only question is where to put your feet. 

Lincoln~Vampire are just myths. 

Henry~Myths don't beat you senseless after you've put a bullet in their brain!


4 comments:

LunaMoth said...

i really like the movie too, it was unique and the fight scenes were pretty awesome.

mariska said...

Yeap, i love that movie too. full of unexpected scenes :D and The Woman in Black is not so bad.

looking forward to watch Hansel and Gretel!

Scarlett said...

I love this concept. I also love old sci-fi/fantasy movies and LIVE at the TCM channel. One sci-fi "ish" movie I think that's hilarious is Galaxy Quest with Tim Allen (Jason Nesmith), Sigourny Weaver (Gwen DeMarco), and Sam Rockwell (Guy Flannigan). One scene in particular stands out. The crew is in a small shuttle headed to a planet to grab some berrylium sphere for their ship and this exchange occurs (courtesy of IMDB). My favorite quote is in bold below:

Guy Fleegman: I changed my mind. I wanna go back.
Sir Alexander Dane: After the fuss you made about getting left behind?
Guy Fleegman: Yeah, but that's when I thought I was the crewman that stays on the ship, and something is up there, and it kills me. But now I'm thinking I'm the guy who gets killed by some monster five minutes after we land on the planet.
Jason Nesmith: You're not gonna die on the planet, Guy.
Guy Fleegman: I'm not? Then what's my last name?
Jason Nesmith: It's, uh, uh - -I don't know.
Guy Fleegman: Nobody knows. Do you know why? Because my character isn't important enough for a last name, because I'm gonna die five minutes in.
Gwen DeMarco: Guy, you have a last name.
Guy Fleegman: DO I? DO I? For all you know, I'm "Crewman Number Six"! Mommy... mommy...

Anyone that's watched Star Trek or old sci-fi movies knows that there's usually some unknown actor that's killed off near the beginning! This scene is hilarious.

Anna (Bite Club) said...

We just had our son watch Galaxy Quest! Such a funny movie and it has just that kind of humor that we all seem to like. Hilarious!