Monday, December 10, 2012

Review: Need by Todd Gregory

Description:

On the sultry streets of New Orleans, you can indulge every desire. Even when what you crave is blood.

As far as the mortal world knows, Cord Logan died two years ago. In reality, he stalks the French Quarter, searching for victims. Cord knew that coming back to New Orleans would be risky now that he’s broken with the fraternity of vampires who first claimed him. But a chance encounter with an old friend triggers unexpected desire, and reveals a lethal curse that endangers not just his kind, but all of humanity.

Cord’s quest to break the curse leads him on a journey of carnal self-discovery and deep into the bayous. Here, where magic reigns unchecked, Cord must tap into his dark, unpredictable abilities and all his seductive powers. And if he fails, he’ll have all eternity to regret it…

Review:

Need is a M/M erotica wrapped with a cloak of vampiric elements. It felt, at times, that the book was less about vampires and more about Cord's struggle with being gay and making quite a few very bad decisions. Cord is young and immature, believing himself to be in love with his college roommate, and his behavior reflects that of someone that is trying too hard, which is something I could easily imagine, but I also wanted to see more personal growth. Cord does seem to mature a bit as the book comes to a close, but a great majority of the book was him f@#$^%g every man he encountered, which was less about blood lust as it was about having serial sexual experiences. Sex in a seedy bar? Okay. Sex when your life is at risk? Maybe. Sex with almost every person you meet? Not so much. Cord really is a busy guy. I understand the struggles he was dealing with, both as a vampire and as a gay man, and how they were similar in nature, but he just didn't resonate with me. The cover and description made me think of Lestat, but once I started reading that image was quickly replaced by frustration because the story was slightly repetitious with descriptions about the same thing being described over and over again using different words, sometimes within just a page of each other. I'll admit to not reading many M/M titles, but I think I'd rather stick to erotic titles that include more romance. Need was just not a good fit for me but it does have some more favorable reviews over at Goodreads.

*Reviewed by Anna Dougherty
*This book was sent by the publisher for review.

1 comment:

mortiana said...

I admit that I like a homoerotic element in my paranormal/vampire reads, but this does sound more sexually involved and not so much getting into the personalities, etc.
I find it interesting whenever I come across a book that has appeal for both men and women and relates to vampires.