Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Guest post with Catherine Winters

Today, we have debut author, Catherine Winters, visiting our spooky little corner of the web. Her new vampire novel, Black, is available now. So let's come out of the shadows to welcome her to the Bite Club.



Confession: I am a music nerd.

Not just an "I listen to music all the time and know all the cool bands" kind of nerd. Not even an "I can read music and know a little theory" nerd. Nope. I'm an actual, honest-to-goodness paid musician music nerd. People pay me to sing for my day job as the principal mezzo-soprano for the Archdiocese of Denver.

So to say music is important to my creative process might be understating it a bit. I'm a music addict, a music junkie, profligate yet discriminating. My phone or my iPod are always plugged into my speakers, and they are always on.

I know a lot of writers need specific music for specific scenes or moods they're writing. I don't work that way; I can listen to almost anything. I have a special love for really, really sad songs, but usually I turn on my favorite streaming radio and let it play.

What I do, though, is keep a notecard next to the laptop and write down the title and artist of every song that strikes me as being particularly relevant to a scene, a chapter, or an entire novel. I then make playlists for a given project – it's fun for me, and it helps me set the mood of the book for my readers. Every novel gets a theme song, and while I might use a certain artist more than once a book, my playlists are usually a pretty random assortment that don't make much sense out of context.

It's sort of like a movie soundtrack, only the movie is entirely in my – and the readers' – head.

Book description for Black:

Thirty-year-old redhead Josephine Berendt has everything under control. She’s finally over her ex, Max Spencer; her third novel is about to hit the shelves; and she’s living happily alone in a quiet Denver suburb. So what if her life is missing a little action? She gets all she needs by writing about vampires – and at least her furniture won’t run away to Paris just to prove how much it doesn’t love her.

600-year-old businessman Grant Black thinks he’s just doing a favor for an old friend by keeping an eye on Josephine and her dangerously accurate storytelling. Keeping out of her life is no trouble at all – until Max shows up on her doorstep with a case of fangs and Grant is forced to meet Josephine in the fearless, foul-mouthed flesh.

Soon Josephine finds herself at the center of an undead incident of international proportions. Now every day is a test of how long she can balance her need for independence with her growing affection for a killer, and stay alive – or, at least, not dead.

Featuring some of the most famous and ruthless vampires from history and literature, BLACK interweaves traditional vampire canons with an entirely new race of vampires with its own laws and mores. Told in Josephine’s thoroughly modern voice, the book is a witty, allusive tour of the vampire world’s upper echelons and hubs of power.



About the author:

Hailed on the internet as "a cyber-bully" and a "mean girl", Catherine Winters has honed her
signature snark in print and in real life since she was ten. Her love of pop culture, bad television,
and worse music coupled with the collection of a lifetime's worth of useless trivia make her first
novel, Black, a witty, allusive tour of Colorado's vampire underworld.

Ms. Winters has been voted "Meanest Mother In The World" for eight straight years. In addition
to writing, Ms. Winters is the Social Media Director for the Gatsby Theatre Company in
Colorado Springs, Colorado, and is employed as a vocalist for the Cathedral Basilica of the
Immaculate Conception in Denver.

Visit her Facebook page, facebook.com/writingwinters , her website writingwinters.com , follow
her on Twitter under @writingwinters, and visit her channel at YouTube.com/writingwinters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.