Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Most of my friends know that I did not enjoy the Fifty Shades phenomenon of 2011-2012, and in fact, I did not even finish the first book. It just wasn't my cuppa, rather like the Twilight books and movies for which half the known world, including many of my friends and family, have devoured and loved. I like a different sort of vampire, and in the case of Fifty Shades, I prefer a whole different sort of erotic fiction/BDSM/romance. Gideon, from the Crossfire trilogy (and the magnificent imagination of author Sylvia Day) is way more my type, and more importantly, way more my preferred writing style. But that's just me.

Fans of E.L. James might be interested to note that on May 1st she is releasing a writer's journal, complete with snippets from her famous series and spaces for budding authors to include their own ideas for a book. Interested? You can follow the link straight over to Business Week which is where I first read the story.


Mina Lobo said...

I've read only snippets of 50 Shades and didn't find the writing (or sex) to my liking. From reading this post, I had a look at a few pages on Amazon just now. I'm immediately struck by the more sophisticated writing, which I liked, though I'm not sure this is for me. I'm interested in erotica but need the sexy to be...elegant. Maybe that's not how erotica rolls, though. Thanks for sharing this, though, I'm going to keep it in mind for when I'm in the mood for smut. :-D

Rain Maiden said...

The third 50 Shades book was a DNF for me. I will have to check out Bare to you when in the mood :-)