Monday, April 1, 2013

Delilah S. Dawson guest post

I am over the moon thrilled to have Delilah Dawson as a guest here atVampChix! Seriously, I have raved about Wicked As They Come on more than one occasion because it truly is one of my favorite books ever, and I'm crazy in love with Criminy Stain. I've also featured a bit about the scent line from Villainess, link at the bottom of this post, of which I highly recommend the essential oils. One of the best lines in the book is when he says this to Tish:

“I would burn down the world for you," he whispered fiercely. "Your world or my own. I would rip down the entire city with my bare hands without a second thought. I don't need to taste anything else, I don't need a comparison.”

This is a MUST READ series! I will have my review of the e-novella The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance up tomorrow.

And now, I'll stop gushing to welcome Delilah to our blog...




Why You Should Read this Non-Vampire Story Set in a Vampire World

If you've read the first book in my Blud series, WICKED AS THEY COME, then you might be familiar with Bludmen, my twist on vampires. My books are set in a parallel steampunk world called Sang in which a peculiar mutation caused many of the people and most of the animals to become blood drinkers. They're not dead or undead. They don't really care about garlic or holy water. But they are sexy, magical, and hard to kill, and all the boys wear top hats and vests. Oh, and the wilds are overrun with bludbunnies.



My latest e-novella, THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE, takes place in the same world, in a dark and twisty London where humans rule and the Bludmen have been all but ghettoized. And as it happens, although the entire world of Sang hinges on quasi-vampires, there isn't a single one in PECULIAR PETS. But I still think you should read it.

Here's why.

In a world where most of the animals want to eat you, live pets are rare and kindness rarer still. Frannie Pleasance runs a pet store, a tiny and unspoiled Eden in a gritty city ruled by harsh men and overrun with clockwork creatures. When she takes in a lodger who could be the twin of her mysteriously murdered brother, her secrets are threatened by a series of unexplainable attempts on her life. Luckily, a handsome Scottish fireman in a kilt is determined to help keep her safe.

So we've got a damaged woman, a magical world, adorable animals, danger, intrigue, dueling pianos, bloodthirsty fuzzy things, and a dude who's basically Thor with a Scottish accent and wearing a kilt.

That's right: Thor. In a kilt.

And if you really need non-humans, Frannie's part of London is also home to daimons, magical people who feed on emotions and have exotic, color-changing skins. They're like beautiful chameleons, and they're the stars of third book in the series, WICKED AFTER MIDNIGHT, which is basically my turn on Moulin Rouge, but with Bludmen and daimons.

Basically, I try to fit everything I like into these books:

WICKED AS THEY COME includes a dark carnival, vampire horses, a kraken, and a submarine.
THE MYSTERIOUS MADAM MORPHO goes deeper into the carnival and includes vampire badgers.
THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE involves a pet shop, a famous musician, a hot fireman in a kilt, and cupcakes.
WICKED AS SHE WANTS, out April 30, follows a vampire princess on an airship brothel and through a unicorn fight and features a masquerade ball.



If that sounds like fun, I hope you'll check them out. There are also character-based perfumes from Villainess Soaps, since I also love artisan perfumes. (http://www.villainess.net/wicked/) Wicked as They Come scents are available now, and we'll be debuting seven new scents more in April.

Why Sang? Because I like corsets and top hats. Why Bludmen? Because I love vampires and sunshine. Why a non-Bludman story? Because Thor in a kilt. That's why.

Thanks so much for hosting me, and I hope you enjoy it!

Author website:
http://delilahpaints.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Rain Maiden said...

I think I'll yank Wicked as they come right off my TBR pile and read it next. Enjoyed the post :-)

delilah s. dawson said...

Yay! Thanks, y'all! I hope you enjoy it! <3