Sunday, June 16, 2013

interesting bits, upcoming books, and highly anticipated movies, comics and games

I've been collecting little bits here and there, off the web, from my FB feed, and from my comic store, all so I could share them with you!

*Colleen Gleason has a new Gardella spin-off coming out this week on June 18th called, Roaring Midnight, I CANNOT wait to get my greedy little paws on it! I've got one word for you...Sebastian!!!! I loved the Regency Draculia series, her Joss Ware post-apocalypse books are out of this world (I am reading Night Resurrected right now), and I am dying to try The Shop of Shades and Secrets (Romantic suspense) plus, Sanctuary of Roses (medieval) looks awesome. I am officially making this summer "Read Colleen" so I have a chance to catch up on all her stuff.


From NEW YORK TIMES and USA Today bestselling author Colleen Gleason, the long-awaited spin-off of the international bestselling Gardella Vampire Chronicles.

Amid the glitzy age of Jazz, when gangsters and bootleggers control the cities, there lies another, more insidious threat ... the undead.

Macey Gardella is a typical young woman of the Roaring Twenties: she works a job, has her own flat, and loves to dance the Charleston. But when a mysterious man named Sebastian Vioget informs her she belongs to a family of vampire hunters, Macey is stunned and disbelieving.

Yet, strange and frightening things begin to happen, and when Macey comes face-to-face with one of the fanged creatures, she has no choice but to believe Sebastian. And when she learns his own soul depends on her willingness to carry forth the family legacy and hunt the undead, Macey capitulates and joins the fight.

As she begins to learn about her new life, Macey meets the handsome newspaper reporter known as Grady--who seems to know more about vampires than he should. When he begins to ask too many questions, she has to juggle her strong attraction to him with the need for secrecy.

Slipping into speakeasies and sampling bootlegged whiskeys, dodging gangster gunfire and trying to keep her nosy landlady from finding the stakes in her flat, Macey Gardella must navigate through a world of stunning violence, passionate romance, and dark betrayal.


Website:
http://www.colleengleason.com/home.html  

*Also, on June 18th is the much anticipated release of Neil Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane, which I hear is a closely personal story that he wrote for his wife, the amazing musician, Amanda Palmer. Since I have never read a Gaiman book that I didn't like, and because he is an author that I will shell out the bucks for a hardcover copy, I went ahead and pre-ordered mine a few months ago, but if you didn't do that then I suggest you beat feet over to the bookstore, or favorite online retailer, and pick up your copy while they're hot!



Website:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/works/Books/The+Ocean+at+the+End+of+the+Lane/ed/371/

*Arkham Origins releases on October 25, 2013 and if you pre-order now you get to play Deathstroke! Yes, I am a total Batman nerdgirl:)



*Man of Steel is out! Nothing else is necessary, except to say, "Go order your movie tickets!" I'm actually going to splurge and go to an actual theater for this, much like we do for any superhero movie.


*In case you haven't figured it out yet, I am crazy for superheroes and I don't just love games and movies. Comics are a great way to immerse yourself in some of the most exceptional worldbuilding out there, and in my case, I like taking my kids over to the local comic shop, for us it's Heroes and Villains, so we can each pick out a title or two. My daughter goes straight for the Dr. Who and My Little Pony section, while my son chooses Star Wars or the Blue Beetle. Both Flyboy and I into the classic Superman and Batman. We just picked up Batman: Year Zero and Superman Unchained...awesome!



Here's an interesting article from The NY Daily News:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/pioneering-gimmick-superman-unchained-1-article-1.1370604



And here's a review for Batman from Newsarama.com:
http://www.newsarama.com/18062-best-shots-advanced-review-batman-21-zero-year-part-1.html

*Now it's back to books because there is just so many good books out there right now and if I can't read them all then I think others should have the chance to try. First up, is a mention for a series that have a soft spot for: The Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill, the first of which happens to be the first book I ever reviewed (Some Girls Bite). I am behind by a couple books but that doesn't stop me from wanting. Biting Bad is out on August 6th and after reading this sneak peak I fully intend to catch up on the series before Biting Bad hits store shelves! You can read the first chapter here.

 


*Next up is perhaps the naughtiest book cover I have ever seen and if the cover is any indication of the contents then count me in! See for yourself! Roxanne Rhoads, from Fang-tastic Books and Bewitching Book Tours, has a new book available now titled A Hot and Sinful Summer. 



Five sinfully seductive tales of scorching summer trysts grace the pages of this short story collection.

Something More Than Friends- a clandestine hookup in the front seat of a car is anything but casual as two friends simmer with emotion while hiding their secret affair from the rest of the world.

Sun Worship- The heat brings out primal urges in Gina, urges she can't control as the hot summer sun beats down upon her bare skin. The things she does to appease her needs...while her neighbor, Joe, secretly watches.

Lawn Service- Serena's lonely life combined with the relentless summer heat has her aching for something sinful. Her wishes are granted when Rob, a sexy lawn service technician, shows up to get her yard in shape for her annual 4th of July party.

A Hot and Sticky Summer Night- a young couple plagued by boredom on a hot summer night drive around looking for something fun to do. They end up making love in the woods... and it's anything but boring.


Not Another One Night Stand- Rebecca has been watching Damon at the nightclub for weeks. One night she finally works up the courage to approach him...and he goes home with her. But will it simply be a one night stand? Or could it be so much more?


That's all for now! I'd love to hear your thoughts on any, or all, of this stuff! What are you looking forward to this week?

No comments: