Saturday, July 19, 2014

Through the Woods

Through the Woods, by Emily Carroll

This book just came out on the 15th, and it is the first book for author, Emily Carroll. I have followed some of her work on her website, after reading one of the short stories included here- His Face All Red. So, when I heard that she was writing a book soon, I was anxious to get my hands on it. Luckily, the publisher was also interested in giving VampChix a copy to review! And I am so glad they did because this was just as gorgeous and creepy as I hoped it would be.

The book consists of 5 short stories, and an introduction and conclusion. Everything, from the table of contents, to the copyright page to the author's page is covered in beautiful artwork. The content is scary but suitable for audiences 14 and up. (Or at parent's discretion, of course)

And the stories are just deliciously disturbing. The settings range from the North American frontier to a Parisian mansion, to a horrifying home in the 1930s. The tales alone would be chilling enough, but the accompanying artwork is what makes these stories spectacular.

I love it. Every detail is perfectly macabre. The atmosphere builds; each story becoming just a bit more unsettling than the last. By the time I got to the final story, The Nesting Place, I was truly haunted. 5 stars!

Buy it on Amazon
Check it out on Goodreads

No comments: