Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Outlander

Now, don't toss tomatoes at me or anything, but I have only ever read a small fraction of the ever-popular Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, although I did meet her at a local book festival where I had her sign a graphic novel I had purchased called, The Exile. She was incredibly charming and friendly, making a few jokes to others ahead of me in line about the relentless sun that Arizona is so famous for (her poor booth faced directly into the sun and several other authors had already bailed). I've always meant to read the books in order, but it wasn't until I started watching the show that I realized that I might be seriously missing out.



So far, I've decided that all buff men should wear a kilt, accents can be sinfully hot, and Claire is one of the strongest female characters I've ever seen. She uses her knowledge of medicine to help Jamie and has the wherewithal to recall discussions had with her husband to help familiarize herself with her location and time. Yes, she does breakdown about her circumstances, but not in a way that makes her appear weak. I could only hope that I would be as smart should I accidentally fall through time into a place that is wholly unfamiliar where people in red coats start shooting at me, one unsavory guy that looks suspiciously like my husband back in the real world tries to rape me, and I'm rescued by an extremely gorgeous Irishman.



All kidding aside, from the beginning theme song, which is truly beautiful, to the preview of the next episode, everything about this show will have you transfixed, and dare I say it, transported to another world. I'm no good at recapping episodes, so I won't even try, but I do recommend that you tune in to watch.


You can find more information about the show and it's incredibly talented cast over at the Starz website, but be warned, I've already claimed Jamie as my new fake boyfriend so you can't have him.

If you're anything like me, after watching the first couple of episodes you will want to search for the books because not knowing what happens to Claire and Jamie is not an option, and if patience isn't your strongsuit, I suggest these hopping on over to Amazon, BN, Goodreads, and Diana Gabaldon's website, which includes a reading list, information about the aforementioned graphic novel, and lots of authorly (yes, I've decided that is a word) goodies.





No comments: